[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Breeding Journal: A. Ocellaris

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Default Breeding Journal: A. Ocellaris

Breeding Journal DataSheet

This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place
    or changes are made to your system

General
    Species: A. Ocellaris
    Social Structure: limited to mated pair only
    Size of Individuals: female about 2.5", male about 1.5"
    Age of Individuals: about 3 years
    Date added to Tank: 2007

Broodstock Tank Details
    Size of Tank: 14 gllons
    Substrate Details: Moonlight Black/ Samoa Pink reef sand
    Filtration Details:
    Water Changes: None- top offs only
    Water Temperature: 78 degrees
    Lighting:
    Lighting Cycle: 7am-9/10pm
    Other Tank Inhabitants: turbo snail, tonga nassarius snail, couple dwarf blue legs

Broodstock Feeding Details
    Food Types: Brine Shrimp,added pellet, fuel,spirulina flake
    Feeding Schedule: 4 times daily

Spawning Details
    Date of First Spawn:
    Spawn Time of Day:
    Dates of Consecutive Spawns:
    Courtship Details:
    Egg Size:
    Egg Color:
    Egg Count:

Hatch Details
    Hatch Date:
    Hatch Time of Day:
    # Days after Spawn:
    Larvae Description:

Larval Tank Details
    Temperature: 78 degrees
    Size of Larval Tank: 5gallon
    Substrate Details: Bare Bottom
    Other Tank Decor: Heater, Airstone
    Filtration Details: None yet, have hang on back when safe to use
    Lighting: None used yet, indirect light for now, have 15watt in hood
    Lighting Cycle: Not used yet, as no hatch yet
    Water Changes: None yet- nothing to change

Larval Feeding Details
    Food Types: Currently Phyto and Rotifers. Will continue the rotifer/phyto combo til about Day #5 then introduce baby brine shrimp along with the combo.
    Feeding Schedule: Will be feeding several times daily, thinking 4 times/day? Looking into this.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
    Date of Settlement Start:
    Days after Hatch:
    Date of Settlement End:
    Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
    Temperature:
    Size of Grow-Out Tank:
    Substrate Details:
    Other Tank Decor:
    Filtration Details:
    Lighting:
    Lighting Cycle:
    Water Changes:
    Size at Transfer:
    Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
    Food Types:
    Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
    Miscellaneous Information: Ok, I admit the journal list above is a little overwhelming at the moment... it's late , ooops or it's early in the morning...so I will have to update it when I have updates. I do not have everything on that list. But I am working on it. I do not remember when they first spawned, either late 2008/early 2009. In the main tank.

I have made a video - and will be adding to it daily to see what I am doing right...and what may possibly go wrong. I plan on leaving the eggs IN the tank this time and trying to net the fry as they hatch. Taking the rock out the night of hatching did not seem too successful for me.
    Hope you like......youtube is giving me a hardtime about the song I just purchased from iTunes..so I may have to add the video tomorrow.
    (note: the rock have been moved from the last hatch..everything is down on the tank floor because they kept laying in a cave that I couldn't observe)
    Last edited by Chelle's Ocean; 08-19-2010 at 08:09 AM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Congrats on having CR's first Breeding Journal! Keep us updated.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Thank you thank you! (takes a bow) haha
    Hope you all can walk me through some things as I really want to get this down to a science. I feel like I am doing my poor clown babies an injustice by not knowing exactly how to get them to survive. I have a general idea from research, by as everyone knows - nothing in this hobby is guaranteed. I am happy that I found Captive Reefs, and look forward to sharing my breeding experience with you guys.

I am not sure how this is to be set up exactly... and since I am the first one- I think I am going to follow along the lines of journal style entries. (if that's ok) with photos to support.

"Mamma & Pappa Ocellaris"

8/7/2010 - 8/11/2010 Mamma & Pappa were courting each other, staying very close to each other during this week. Whenever I looked at the tank, they were cuddled up next to the heater, or "dancing" the ritual dance of love. Eating very well. They are fed a few times daily, a mixture of frozen brine shrimp and a bit of flake/pellet, with a few drops of essential elements mixed in.

(side note) since I also have xenia, a small paly colony, and a baby mushroom in the tank, I add a touch of Fuel (AquaVitro) and Oyster Feast (Reef Nutrition), about 5 drops every other day.

8/12/2010: The clowns have been very busy today, dutifully cleaning away a spot next to the heater on the back wall of the biocube. Picking, kissing, pecking, rubbing- doing everything they can to make their spot ready.
    Same feeding schedule.

8/13/2010: Fed the clowns in the morning and afternoon- and upon getting ready to feed at night, I noticed the eggs were on the back wall (Yeah!!) This was about 5:30-6pm. I marked my calendar as either 8/20/10 or 8/21/10 as the hatch night.....we will see.
    Increased the feeding to now (4) times daily to provide more nutrition to the pair.

They were actually given a (midnight) snack around 1 am (haha after I got off Captive Reefs) and I took a mini video of this.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

8/14/2010 : Registered at www.mbisite.org - same username as here. Very cool info, thanks to FishTalPropagations for sharing on your website! Loved the photos and the events info. Thanks!

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Good start. Post some pics when you get them. Take a look at some of the other MBI journals to get an idea how other people do theirs.
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Most definitely- seems all I am doing is sitting at the computer this week, lol reading reading more reading....I want to make sure I have all the info I need to get a good start, and then of course grow from there.
    As far as pictures... yeah I will have to take some, I got hung up on the video diary thinking it would be useful for future reference to look back on and see what I did (right or worng) and do the same or correct the mistakes. But I can't seem to upload videos here, so I will take some pics tonight.
    (I threw a quickie post on my blog, www.chellescreativeexpressions.blogspot.com )
    I plan on updating my youtube as well...making a small updated video each day if possible to track it all. I have to see if we have any more journals here (left from school supplies, lol) and will keep track there too- then update here - I just don't want to miss a beat. I like the MBI site, and came across a few other setups on another forum as well. (hubby and I don't see eye 2 eye on this yet...he thinks "start small , and when you are successful at it, then go bigger" Me, I'm like: "No, we need several tanks for several different reasons.... trying to explain why the fry cannot remain in primary tank due to predation, and that the phyto/rotifers need their own space.. " Funny...he debates for awhile- then he sees the difference it would make. I just have to come up with a plan to have a set up built WHILE he is not home...lol... (btw hubby is an over-the-road long haul driver...so is only home about 4-5 days a month. (gotta make a plan gotta make a plan gotta make a plan, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, lol)
    Any way... I will be back after I read some more on MBI, and I need to know how exactly due I edit my profile above? How can I edit my journal report to enter information?

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

That's funny Chelle, I knew a Michelle in Florida who was married to a OTR trucker too, he was Sheryl Crow's road crew for awhile. But she got divorced.

In any event I'm looking forward to this journal as my new Occy is already within 24 hours of getting in the tank following my bigger occy like a puppy dog.

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

You should be able to edit your journal as you add new information. It's important to keep the first post/journal up to date as you go along. Pics and other things can be added along the way in future posts.
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Thanks Tal- just got a message from Jim regarding that,

Haha...yeah- not the same Michelle, lol
    I appreciate the follow...please feel free to comment- keeping this informative and fun!
    Can you post a pic of your O.'s?
    Good luck to the new pair!

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Thanks Tal- just got a message from Jim regarding that,

Haha...yeah- not the same Michelle, lol
    I appreciate the follow...please feel free to comment- keeping this informative and fun!
    Can you post a pic of your O.'s?
    Good luck to the new pair!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last