[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

Bookmark and Share
    FlynnFish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    shanny
    Awards MBI Apprentice - Award nomination from bigbill accepted. Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Default Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

Breeding Journal DataSheet

This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place
    or changes are made to your system

General
    Species: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)
    Social Structure: Pair
    Size of Individuals: female- 2.5 inches, male 1.8 inches
    Age of Individuals: ~2 years
    Date added to Tank: June 2011

Broodstock Tank Details
    Size of Tank: 20 gallons of a 120 gallon system
    Substrate Details: bare bottom
    Filtration Details: filter sock, deep sandbed, live rock, macro algae, skimmer, biopellets
    Water Changes: 30% bi weekly
    Water Temperature: 78.9
    Lighting: Vho
    Lighting Cycle: on @ 9:30 off at 10:30
    Other Tank Inhabitants: crabs, spaghetti worms, bristtle worms

Broodstock Feeding Details
    Food Types: Homemade seafood blend, New life spectrum Thera A pellets
    Feeding Schedule: three times a day

Spawning Details
    Date of First Spawn: May 11th 2012
    Spawn Time of Day: afternoon
    Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 5/11/12, 5/25/12, 6/7/12*
    Courtship Details: pair spends all their time together. both tend to the eggs, male more than female.
    Egg Size: 1-2mm
    Egg Color: orange
    Egg Count: ? Hundred maybe 200

Hatch Details
    Hatch Date: 6/16/12
    Hatch Time of Day: 1 am
    # Days after Spawn: 8 days
    Larvae Description: silvery in color, bright clear silver eyes, no yolk sac noted

Larval Tank Details
    Temperature: 77 F
    Size of Larval Tank: 5 gallon
    Substrate Details: bare bottom
    Other Tank Decor: heater, air stone
    Filtration Details: water changes
    Lighting: LED
    Lighting Cycle: lights on at 6:30 am, lights off at 11:00pm
    Water Changes: none as of yet.

Larval Feeding Details
    Food Types: Rotifers
    Feeding Schedule: feeding large supply once maybe twice a day

Metamorphosis/Settlement
    Date of Settlement Start:
    Days after Hatch:
    Date of Settlement End:
    Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
    Temperature:
    Size of Grow-Out Tank:
    Substrate Details:
    Other Tank Decor:
    Filtration Details:
    Lighting:
    Lighting Cycle:
    Water Changes:
    Size at Transfer:
    Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
    Food Types:
    Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
    Miscellaneous Information:
    Last edited by FlynnFish; 06-16-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: laid eggs and hatched

First Name
    shanny
    Awards MBI Apprentice - Award nomination from bigbill accepted. Photo of the Month MBI Participant

female
    femalepicasso - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

male
    malepicasso - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

i've had these fish since January in a 24 gallon nano cube and moved them over to my breeder system in June. the female has always nitpicked at the tile here and there, and always kept the male at bay with chasing him to a corner and biting him to the point i could see scales floating in the water after she bit him. last night I was sitting in front of the tank watching my fish while listening to making sure my son was going to go to sleep in the room above me. I noticed the male and the female were together and the female was strongly picking at one of the tiles and then rubbing her belly against it. she wasn't laying eggs, but the male was nip-picking at another tile. So i am hoping this is some type of prespawning behavior.

sorry the video is sideways, i took it on my phone and was holding it sideways.
    I need to attend a Fish Breeders Anonymous class.
    mbi sigaspx?uflynnfish&ampimg2 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

lol nice video
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

First Name
    shanny

lol, i'll learn to use my phone right one of these days. no eggs yet and the male s back to his usuall corner. so maybe it was some type of courtship display but not a "i want to get down and dirty" display. lol.
    mbi sigaspx?uflynnfish&ampimg2 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

First Name
    shanny

It's been a while since i updated. Things have been going well. The pair have finally been getting along. Back in April i tried egg foster with the pair. I took a clutch of eggs from my ocellaris pair and put in with the picassos.

[ame="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/shannyfly/?action=view&current=eggfostering.mp4"]egg fostering video by shannyfly - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid305...ggfostering.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid305@@AMEPARAM@@305@@AMEPARAM@@nn20 1/shannyfly/eggfostering@@AMEPARAM@@mp4[/ame]

After taking care of three batches of Ocellaris eggs I found these.
    2012 05 11220858 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)
    the first batch of Picasso eggs on May 11th. this batch ended up getting eaten.
    the pair laid another batch on May 25th and they hatched on June 2nd with a batch of regular percula eggs. I failed to put the air stone directly under the eggs so only a few hatched out. I crashed my rotifer supply from feeding old food that sat in the fridge too long. so I only have two fry left from this batch, I am unsure if they are picasso offspring or regular percula offspring, only time will tell.
    another batch was laid on June 7th and they hatched out early this morning around 1 am.
    I filtered the parent water through a 54 micron sieve into a 5 gallon tank. I fed with rotigreen and filter rotifers this morning.
    2012 06 16070808 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

all is doing well.
    2012 06 16070727 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

CR Member
    First Name
    Boon

nice video.. My clowns just spawn eggs too last Monday. I had some success raising the baby clowns. I have 3 suvivors from my first batch. My last batch, 11 survived but died after 15 days. I don't know why. Anyway, can you spare me some rotifers or tell me where I can get it locally (I am in Rochester Hills, MI). I don't want to pay an overnight shipping fee each time I need it. I tried to culture it myself but it crashed after about a month.

First Name
    shanny

It's been a while again since I updated this thread. The lastest batch of picasso babies are doing great!!! I had 11 survive past meta. they are a bit over a month old now and are looking fantastic. i have 4 platinums and 1 other is showing neat patterns on his face already. the other six are still look like plain perculas, but have not started getting their stripes yet.
    here is one picasso from a earlier batch about two months ago.
    IMG 9503 zps8bf58d40 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

here are two of the platinums with a regular perc and the one picasso with a eye spot and a cheek spot
    IMG 9496 zpsfd8fca1b - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

here is a picture of the other two platinums
    IMG 9492 zps4a650190 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

IMG 9480 zpsaccff86c - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

IMG 9490 zps558087f1 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

IMG 9488 zps2abd7366 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

IMG 9485 zps1a149217 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

in this last picture you can see the eye and cheek spot of the picasso.
    IMG 9479 zps698b9e77 - Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Breeding Journal: Amphiprion Percula (picasso varient)

Thanks for the update!! Was wondering how the lil ones were doing. And you too of course
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com