[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

1 TDS in RO/DI Top Off?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default 1 TDS in RO/DI Top Off?

How does TDS accumulate in a tightly covered RO/DI top off reservoir? What can I do about it?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Comes out 0 and after I fill the bucket it's at 0. It has a tight fitting lid, don't know how anything could be getting in there But like you said, I'm not gonna worry about it being 1. Thanks for the reply

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Comes out 0 and after I fill the bucket it's at 0. It has a tight fitting lid, don't know how anything could be getting in there But like you said, I'm not gonna worry about it being 1. Thanks for the reply
    Not enough to really worry about. I would think if your tub is leaching anything it would be Po4. I would lean more to the change in water temp is helping indicate the TDS reading your seeing. R/O water is pretty cool comeing out but the top of is warmed by the room temp. Either way no worries

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Man I love learning!!! When I checked the ro/di water it was the last lil bit at the bottom of the bucket~lol The bucket was a special food grade order from GFC which is a food wholesaler Expensive lil buggers at $22 for a 5g bucket and $4 for the lids But well worth it as they are clear and marked in g/l
    Thanks guys

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

RO/DI is extremely agressive. It has been stripped of all its ions so is trying to get back to its natural "dirty" so can pull CO2 out of the air, dust, chemicals in the plastic and worst of all metals which is why you never want any metals to come into contact with RO/DI especially copper, brass and bronze alloys. It is like a sponge sucking things up to get back similar to the tap water was to begin with.

A TDS of 1 is not bad but remember you have no idea what that 1 is made up of, only that something is present. Also realize some contaminants such as nitrates, silicates and phosphates are weakly ionized so may not register well on a TDS meter at low levels so could actually be higher than you realize. Don't stretch DI resin past its useful life, change the resin when you first start seeing anything other than 0 TDS exiting your RO/DI system.