[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Iron and Manganese supplementation

Bookmark and Share
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Iron and Manganese supplementation

Hi Bob,

I'm wondering if you could provide some insight on adding these two elements to a reef tank. I have been experiencing some tissue loss and poor coloration in several LPS lately and am wondering if a deficiency in these may be the culprit. There are my thoughts:

1. I previously dosed these in the form of Two Little Fishies Iron and a few months after stopping the symptoms developed
    2. Information on Mn supplementation in The Reef Aquarium Vol 3.
    3. I am suspicious that my two large Tridacna clams may be more efficient at sequestering Mn and therefore the LPS are suffering.

Please provide any info you can share on these elements... especially a DIY formula (if there is one).

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I think I have my answer. At least in part if not whole...

Got my water tested at the LFS and have nitrates at 50 ppm! I guess Superfeeder automatic fish feeder also means super nitrates! Feeder shut down and water change city here I come.

I would still be interested in peoples thoughts on dosing Fe and Mn though.

Tom

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

Tom,
    I don't think that your problems are related to iron or Mn sequestering by the clams. Your nitrates may be the problem as you have indicated. If you are doing regular water changes with a brand salt, there should be enough iron and Mn available.

I have supplemented with iron & Mn on and off through the years and have not noticed much difference in the corals or livestock, with the exception of the macro algae. I started supplementing when I could not get good macro algae growth and that solved my problem.
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - Iron and Manganese supplementation