[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Alk swings?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Alk swings?

Not sure what's causing it nor is the swing that big (back and forth between 6.4-7.5) but it's still bugging me as I've been dosing 2part and just can't get a steady reading.

As of today: Alk=6.5~Ca=440 and Mag=1450. I don't know the reason for the high Mag as I've only dosed once for it at 20ml and that was maybe 2 weeks ago.

My house if pretty closed up and my sis smokes. Would adding an air stone of some sort help?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Not sure what's causing it nor is the swing that big (back and forth between 6.4-7.5) but it's still bugging me as I've been dosing 2part and just can't get a steady reading.

As of today: Alk=6.5~Ca=440 and Mag=1450. I don't know the reason for the high Mag as I've only dosed once for it at 20ml and that was maybe 2 weeks ago.

My house if pretty closed up and my sis smokes. Would adding an air stone of some sort help?
    Hi Jamie,

You may need to increase the buffer until you reach your target value (8dKH). Also, test kits can produce erroneous results so you may want to take a water sample to your LFS. Adding an airstone may not help as your enclosed living area has a higher level of CO2 than the outside air..............................Jim Z.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks Jim. I use a better test kit then our LFS and I'm already dosing 10ml daily of ESV Alk should I go higher?

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

How many times a day do you dose? Once a day will give you some pretty good swings but many people do it with no harm. I dose 8 times a day to keep things even.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Aww crap! I dose 10ml once a day. NO I don't have a doser. How do you dose 10x a day without one? Maybe I should just quit dosing period. If its going to cause me issues, geeeezzz

Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Aww crap! I dose 10ml once a day. NO I don't have a doser. How do you dose 10x a day without one? Maybe I should just quit dosing period. If its going to cause me issues, geeeezzz
    I do you a dosing pump. Many people don't and dose once a day without a problem you will just have fluctuations. I like steady, so a dosing I will go.

TM01 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Todd
    Awards Tank of the Month Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    I do you a dosing pump. Many people don't and dose once a day without a problem you will just have fluctuations. I like steady, so a dosing I will go.
    If you dont mind me asking...What are you using to turn your dosing pumps on?
    "The price of beauty is never quick or cheap."

Mine are run by my Neptune Jr., but could be any timer.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I need help here peoples. I cannot get my alk up above 6.5 Of course I wasn't able to dose Fri-Sun as I was gone. But started again on Monday at 10ml daily. Still no raise from 6.5. It's actually a little lower. What is causing the drop? Should I stop dosing ca and just dose alk? My sps are starting to show signs of stress

Just dose more. Don't stop your calcium unless your calcium level is rising.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last