[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Alk swings?

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Could this be an ORP issue? I think there was some discussion regarding smoking in the house. Just a thought.....
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

You know I was wondering about that myself~my sis smokes big time~although there's an exhaust fan in the window next to her and an air cleaner (at my insistence) would this actually affect my parameters?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That would affect the PH not the Alk. Your ok. Now you need to do a 24 hour test to determine your usage. Read you alk level. Then don't dose. 24 hours later read it again. Now start adding your alk stuff until you get it up to where it was at the first measurement. You have to wait between doses but in an hour or two you will have it. That is then how much you have to dose to maintain your level. You can not use the directions, they are only a guide. It all depends on your animals usage.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Update:

So at the advice from you all, here's what I've been doing for the last 7 days. In high flow area. Dosing 10ml of alk at 11pm and 10ml of Ca at 11am my parameters are now steady and as follows. Using Red Sea Pro 3-1 test kit. Testing at 9:00 a.m.

Alk=8.1
    Ca=420
    Mag=1400
    Ph=7.8 testing at 9:00am and raises to 8.3 by 10pm lights out. Using API Ph test kit.

By george I think she's got it! lol

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Mizzz, I just wanted to chime in here and tell you your alk is on the low side. I keep mine right at 11 when my tank isn't a mess cause my salt mixes to 12.2. I am going to have to do two part if I want to stay at the same Dkh as my fresh mixed water. That is ultimately my goal but first I got to get these phosphates and nitrates down . For the record the cal and alk are 12 and 460 in the nano so when I do a water change there is no parameter movement.
    Just a thought
    Heidi

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Thanks for the opinion Heidi With so many different ones out there about proper alk/ca/mag levels, well it's just to dang hard to pick one. There are so many successful reefers out here who keep different levels, I'm beginning to see that there is no perfect set level to maintain. Thing is, even when my alk was lower at 6.4 none of my corals, fish nor inverts seemed affected in any way. Aside from the acros, maybe. Which I'm no longer keeping.

For now I'm shooting for stability and being able to keep the above readings. For the last 7 days it's been working. My tank is happy, healthy and thriving

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3