[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

alkalinity

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default alkalinity

what else can i do to lower the alkalinity of my tank other then doing a water change? the test that i did said the the level was high. i know thats not really helpful but for the moment thats all i have. i plan on getting a new alk test soon. i did a 20% water change and that didn't help.
    here are what all the levels of my tank were last time i checked on april 25.
    nitrate=0
    nitrite=0
    ammonia=0
    alkalinity=high
    ph=8.2
    temp=74.8
    SG=1.025
    thanks for the help. also does anyone have any recs for a different test, at the moment i am using a red sea test kit.
    ADAM

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Unfortunately,high doesn't tell us much about what the actual levels are.You will need to get a new test kit.For alkalinity and PH,I use a Tropic Marin brand test kit.For calcium,phosphate,and nitrate,I use Salifert.Most people tend to keep there alkalinity between 8-11dKH,I prefer 9dKH.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

looks like the temp is WAY to low also Adam !! about 5 degrees.

Im probably mistaken here, but I was always under the impression that PH and alkalinity were close if not synonymous. Im probably all goofed up on that. The PH scale claims a neutral of 7.0. Higher the number is alkaline, and lower is acidic. How can you have a low alkalinity if your scale is coming in at 8.2 I just dont understand this, and really could use some good explination on this part of it. I test both, and they have always been in line with each other.

Thanks

RG

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

My guess is that you are using the all in one test strips. Those test strips are never really that acurate. If you are using the test strips I would say try the Salifert test kits so you can give us more details on what is going on which would help us give you a solution to the problem. also do you have corals in the tank? If not then you really don't even need to worry about the alk.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I suggest finding out a real value before trying to adjust you alkalinity.

i will have to place an order for a different test kit when i get home from work tonight. you guys say that Salifert test kits are good? unfortunatly i don't really have the money at the momment to go out and order all new test kits so for now i will just get the ph and alk. now are these the dip sticks, or are they like the red sea water kit?
    also thanks on the heads up for temp, i am still playing around with it to get it at a constant temp. the time i ran tests before it was something like 85*.
    nothing is in the tank yet. still trying to figure things out. it just went through cycle/ is now ending it so all thats in there is the sand LR and what ever little guys came with. but i was hoping to get a clean up crew tomorrow, if not then early next week.
    thanks for the help
    ADAM

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

not a problem Adam, the temp should be between 78 and 80 degrees, it really is dependant on the lighting because you will need to adjust the heater if you are using MH's. they heat the water alot unless you have fans blowing across the tank to move the hot air around. i would suggest getting some fans anyway, because sooner or later you will upgrade the lighting and need them. better to be safe than sorry.

Stay away from any of the dipstick testing kits.Tropic Marin as well as Salifert use a chemical reagant that you add to 5ml of tank water.You count the numner of drops it takes for the water to change from green to orange.Each drop represents 1dKH of alk.

Quote Originally Posted by reefgeek
    Im probably mistaken here, but I was always under the impression that PH and alkalinity were close if not synonymous. Im probably all goofed up on that. The PH scale claims a neutral of 7.0. Higher the number is alkaline, and lower is acidic. How can you have a low alkalinity if your scale is coming in at 8.2 I just dont understand this, and really could use some good explination on this part of it. I test both, and they have always been in line with each other.

Thanks

RG
    They have a relationship as well as calcium and CO2 levels in your tank.Alkalinity is the term used to describe how much "buffering capacity" a solution has.For example,with an alkaline PH of 8.3 and a low alkalinity of say 2dKH,the PH is going to be more prone to dropping when acid bi-products from the animals are released into the water.With a high alk of say 9dKH and the same 8.3 PH,it is going to take alot more of these acid bi-products to drop the PH.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last