[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 18 First 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... Last
    CR Member

Reminder Of The Day: Flow...

The basic rule of thumb for flow for a standard pipe slot is 35 gph (US gallons per hour) (140 liters per hour) per inch (2.2 cm) of screen width. Thus a screen 2" wide would need 70 gph. This should cover the entire screen with a swift flow on both sides, and leave you with a little room for adjustment. The more flow, the better, but this amount has proven to work well. How tall the screen is does not change the gph, however; only the width does. Here is the chart:

Screen Width-----Gallons Per Hour (GPH)

2" 70
    3" 105
    4" 140
    5" 175
    6" 210
    7" 245
    8" 280
    9" 315
    10" 350
    11" 385
    12" 420
    13" 455
    14" 490
    15" 525
    16" 560
    17" 595
    18" 630
    19" 665
    20" 700

CR Member

"Sly" on the SWF site is getting great growth in just 6 days from his trashcan-scrubber with built-in surge device:

UserSly RngrdaveOnSWF 16 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

UserSly RngrdaveOnSWF 17 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?
    And what is this.... dinner?

AcrylicOneWeek6500Kside - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

...Nope, it a week of growth from just one side (the 6500K side) of my acrylic unit.

CR Member

Well this one takes the cake. Not only is it the biggest, but it's also the first one to use halides for lighting. "Reefski" on the MD site has a 700g tank and 800g sump, and had the entire garage to use for fish stuff, so he spared nothing in building his scrubber:

UserReefskiOnMD 1 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

UserReefskiOnMD 2 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

UserReefskiOnMD 3 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

By the way, if this weren't enough, his entire back yard is a koi pond

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

Tho I am not convinced that it will do all that is preported.
    I have decided to add a small scrubber to my new sump build. As I see it worst case I will spend 50 Bucks and a bit of electricty. Best case it does all it is preported. What I do expect is it will help grow alge. Just hope my ravinous tangs can keep up with the supply. If they will eat it I need to figure out a way to keep it contained. Off the top of my head I was thinking about a tube worm feeder, They are preforated on all sides kinda cone shape. Any ideals or thought welcomed. (Will do a write-up on new Stand and sump soon about 80% completed)
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

CR Member

How will the tangs get to it? Will it be on top of the display, draining down?

CR Member

Well I'm trying to get caught up with the posts; gonna have to combine a few here to get them out without postponing anymore. Seems to be a lot of interest in scrubbers that are unique, like the giant one, and the solar one. Well today is another unique one, but first here are some results feedback:

"Pong" on the RF site said "i had a lot of green hair algae growing on my screen. noticed that the red algae in my DT has lessened dramatically."

"Johnt" on the UR site said "I've always used phosphate remover. I've tried most makes but always ended back using Rowa. since running the scrubber I've stopped the phosphate reactor and despite the scrubber not yet being at the Turf Algae stage the phosphate readings are dropping."

And "thauro77" on the SWF site said "Here are my test results, the dates are the water changes dates as well:

08/28
    Calcium 660mg/l (when I first used the filter)
    Carbonate 196.9 ppm/kh
    Phosphate 0.5
    Nitrates 20ppm

09/04
    Calcium 500
    Carbonate 214.8
    Phosphate 0.5
    Nitrates 10ppm

09/09
    Calcium 440
    carbonate 143.2
    phosphate 0.5
    nitrates 10ppm

09/23
    calcium 440
    carbonate 214.8
    phosphate 0.25
    nitrate 5.0ppm

And now for the first screen on any thread to use LEDs! "Snailrider" on the AC site built it:

UserSnailriderOnAC 1 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

UserSnailriderOnAC 2 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

UserSnailriderOnAC 3 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

UserSnailriderOnAC 4 - Anybody here used a turf scrubber before?

He knows that the part of the screen underwater will not contribute, so he made sure the part above the water had enough size to handle things. We'll see how LED's work!

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    How will the tangs get to it? Will it be on top of the display, draining down?
    It will be in the sump. Will take the long stuff and place it in the display for them to eat. (If they will) If they won't then it (Stuff cleaned off screen) will go in the garbage.
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

CR Member

Oh they'll eat it.

CR Member

Reminder Of The Day:

Lighting Duration: Set up your scrubber lighting on a timer for 18 hours ON, and six hours OFF. The scrubber itself won't care when those hours are, but if you want, you can have them on when your display lights are off, so as to help balance pH in the system.

CR Member

Here is a note to skimmer manufacturers, as well as manufacturers of acrylics/plastics, lighting, and pumps. One way to benefit from scrubbers is to start building them, so as to make life easier for aquarists. There is no patent, and I have no interest in building them, although designing them is fun. Promoting them is fun too. But manufacturing is not my thing, so hopefully some folks will start making at least a simple version (like the Santa Monica 120) available. Look at it like this: Manufacturers of skimmers currently make an expensive product that has pumps and acrylic/plastic parts. Manufacturers of lighting currently make an expensive product that has bulbs, ballasts, and frames. Neither of these products has all these parts in one unit.

Scrubbers, however, do. Instead of viewing scrubbers as a make-at-home rig that stops people from buying skimmers, manufacturers should instead view scrubbers as a piece of aquarium equipment they can manufacture which includes acrylic, plastic, lights, pumps, timers, fans and complex parts, all woven together. Imagine the designs that could be achieved which would allow the most water flow, the most air, the most light, all in the least space possible, and for the best price. It's a designer's dream. Sure, many folks will continue making their own scrubbers, but at some point these folks will upgrade their tanks and will not want to hassle with building larger versions. So, here are some things I thought of that manufacturers could offer:

o A simple low-cost design; just an acrylic box, preferably with a mirror inside finish. The customer would add all other parts. This is what I built.

o Complex designs that would be needed to fit into the many different places that aquarists have: Above a crowded sump, behind the tank, vertically next to tank, next to a tank in a stand-alone furniture finish, or on the wall as a decorative item.

o Skimmers designed to work with scrubbers, by having one connect/feed the other.

o Scrubber lights with built-in timers, for nanos.

o Ultra small scrubber boxes for nanos, possibly with self-contained LED lights, the size of a cell phone.

o Nano hoods with scrubbers built into them.

o Sumps with built in scrubbers, instead of built-in wet/dry's.

o Display lighting-fixtures with scrubbers connected to the back of them, such that the scrubber uses the same light.

o Tank options, such as scrubber-on-backside.

o Auto-cleaners that clean/scrub/scrape the screen automatically.

o Hand/electric tools specialized to clean the screen.

o RODI sprayers that give the screen a FW spray periodically (to kill pods), possibly doubling as a top off.

o Non-destructive pumps to get pods from the sump to the display.

o Self-priming pumps built in to scrubber, for placement on top of displays with no sump.

o Quick-disconnect waterfall pipes.

o Double and triple thick screens, which allow algae to stick better during cleanings.

o Multiple screens, with large areas for large tanks.

o Ultra thin LED powered flexible screens, which could weave around obstacles.

o Fan on a temp controller, to keep water temp preset.

o Uniquely shaped T5 panels, such as 12 X 12, to perfectly fit a screen.

o Safety switches that cut off the lights and/or flow during certain conditions.

A great first model could be targeted to smaller tanks (SW and FW) that may not have sumps, and thus would include a self-priming pump inside the scrubber. It would sit on or near the display and would pull water up to it. It would drain right back to the display, and would give the customer the option of letting the algae grow out the drain (and into the tank to feed the fish), or removing the algae as it comes out of the drain, before it gets to the display.

Page 3 of 18 First 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... Last