[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anyone dose espon salt for hair algae issues

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

Default Anyone dose espon salt for hair algae issues

I was wondering if anyone out there doses epson salt to help with hair algae problems..I have heard of its usage but havent heard how it does.

Thanks

Rick

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

yes I do rick it is a cheap source of MG doesn't kill the bryopsys like tech m dose but it dose the job just slower

not sure how well it truly works on regular hair algae though
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

greenstarfish03 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

This link will show you in detail what I use. I use recipe #2 and the third part is the epson salt and it even explain when and how much to use.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

thanks greenstar

Rick

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

When dosing magnesium, you should be dosing both magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride together for a balanced recipe.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

As far as killing algae though...assuming you mean bryopsis, I wouldn't waste my time...just go for the tech M. I think the conventional thought is that it's not the Mg that is killing the algae it is some other contaminant (?) in the Tech M that is doing the job. I tried other products including epson salts and still had just as much algae as when I started.

skuttduck - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have had my reef tank since 2004. I have dealt with many algae issues and beat hair algae bryopsis and this strange black turf algae.

Never have I treated with chemicals or dosing. Changing the spectrum of the bulbs has seemed to help and now I am running all led so I don't have the temperature swings.

You may just have a cycle with algae from things dying in live rock. If you have a sump put some piece in there for awhile and it will break off and go away.

Also siphon as much out by hand and if you are adding phytoplankton stop...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

greenstarfish03 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

I can say almost positively that if you have the right water params that you won't have an issue w/ hair algae. I recently took some pieces w/ tons of hair alage from someone else and put them in my tank. The hair algae all starved out in my tank in three days. I use the 2 part recipe above w/ the mg addative w/ water changes ~ monthly give or take and don't add anything else. I do run crabon and GFO in reactors though w/ good skimmer.

CR Member
    First Name
    Brian

I would dose Hydrogen Peroxide i have been dosing my tank for 6 days now and it has killed all typs of Algea i was having problems with Dinoflagellates and it has cleared up all of it on my rock , pumps , Sandbed , and off my frag plugs also it will not hurt anything but Algea plus it help drop your nitrates to from what i have noticed and they say it will it dropped my N03 down 5 ppm over the 6 days in have been dosing it. Dose 1 mil for every 10 gallons of tank water keep adding till your problem is gone and it is cheap to buy to.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I cant remember where exactly but a study of epsom and long term effects on your tank. It compaired it to other methods but epsom left some kind contaminate behind that "could" build up to damage causing ammounts. I want to say that it was an Advanced Aquariast article.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last