[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Best & Most Inexpensive Way to Dose

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Best & Most Inexpensive Way to Dose

Currently I am hand dosing, doing 2 oz of Alk & 2 oz of Calcium at 7am, and 7pm, respectively. This is keeping my alk between 7.5-9.0, and my Calcium between 410-420.

In the future, I will probably be getting a doser, to deal with this but am content to hand dose, right now. But, as I'm sure all of you are aware, it's not cheap.

I'm still paying for my setup (gotta love that 0% interest rate), and really don't have the cash to spring for a Calcium Reactor (nor, honestly, really the need) right now, so right now I'm using ESV to dose. After getting my system established, however, I'm basically going through a package of ESV in 8 days.

I was looking at the BRS stuff, but noticed that the cost savings might be depleted because you're using more product as it seems less concentrated, than the ESV or other products that are manufactured.

Wondering if someone's done a cost analysis on any of this, and has any recommendations or suggestions. I know that you really do 'get what you pay for', most of the time, but that doesn't also always mean the most expensive product is the best, either.

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

I've been dosing for over 11 years now. I have seen many reefers with Ca reactors and automated ATO's/kalk reactors have problems that overdose Kalk, Ak or Ca and poison their tanks, killing most of their livestock.

I like having control over my dosing and adjusting as needed.
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - Best & Most Inexpensive Way to Dose

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've just started Prodibio, and I've not used their calcium and trace supplements although I'm keen to try it.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by BeakerBob View Post
    I've been dosing for over 11 years now. I have seen many reefers with Ca reactors and automated ATO's/kalk reactors have problems that overdose Kalk, Ak or Ca and poison their tanks, killing most of their livestock.

I like having control over my dosing and adjusting as needed.
    Words of wisdom there ! I agree 100%. BRS sell about the least expensive doaseing pump that actually works well and can be ran of a controller like the Apex or RKE. I personally use spectra pure's meter liter. Pricey but very accurate and easy to adjust. BRS is about as cheap as it gets for two part doaseing unless you are a DIY kinda person.