[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

best way to get the phosphates down

Bookmark and Share
    ROGERWILCO357 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default best way to get the phosphates down

Well i have my phosphates at .40 and used the gfo to get them down to .30 but after checking the rodi and salt mixes I have found no other culprits and think the rock is the problem . If i take the rock out and do a massive water change will this help also can i take from another tank that has no phosphate issues and use those rocks while my tainted rock is cleaned and put back in the qt tank for cycling ? I plan to run gfo and carbon what else can be done to lower the phosphates? any intel is appreciated.
    Roger

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

So you think it is the rock because you eliminated the other possibilities? Do you also have substrate in the tank?

Perhaps if you take a piece of rock out and put it in another tank that you know has zero phosphates, and then test that water after a week of just having a piece of that live rock you could verify it is the rock.

Are you also sure that you are using enough of the GFO and replacing it frequently enough?

Also what test kit are you using for your phosphates? I assume you are having a big algae issue?
    Likes BeakerBob liked this post

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    So you think it is the rock because you eliminated the other possibilities? Do you also have substrate in the tank?

Perhaps if you take a piece of rock out and put it in another tank that you know has zero phosphates, and then test that water after a week of just having a piece of that live rock you could verify it is the rock.

Are you also sure that you are using enough of the GFO and replacing it frequently enough?

Also what test kit are you using for your phosphates? I assume you are having a big algae issue?
    I agree with Jim, there is a good likelihood that it is your substrate and not the rock. However, DON'T stir up the substrate until you decide to change it out. Stirring up the substrate will release toxins and chemicals that have saturated it and will cause a fish kill or worse.
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - best way to get the phosphates down

thanks for the replies
    the skimmer is the Royal exclusive 170
    really don't have the time to take a piece and wait as i have the corals coming next week would there be an issue with the rock swap?
    I am running 2 cups gfo
    phosphates checked with 2 meters hanna egg and the big blue photometer kit the HI-93713
    Tank has been up for 4 or 5 years
    one inch or so sand bed just for looks not deep
    I have 3 tangs in this 120
    and very little algae bloom not much but it is starting..to form on the vortech's all three mp40's and some on the rock.
    If you think the rock swap will be ok then that is what i will opt for other than wasting money on gfo that isn't going to work ..

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Doesn't sound like much of an algae problem. Although your test kits are probably ok...There are a couple posts I think @CalmSeasQuest made about the hanna phosphate checker that may be worthwhile to read.

If you aren't having too much of a problem with algae, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

GFO is your simplest and probably cheapest option (you can regenerate it). How often do you change it out?

well all the corals are growing but have lost their initial colors they came in radiant and now either dull or brown
    guess water changes and gfo weekly or bi- weekly hopefully they will go down to normal..