[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Calcium reactor

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Calcium reactor

I want to get a calcium reactor in the future. Do they come with instructions? (Easy instructions) The bubble counter, solenoid, co2, etc. confuse me to no end. I have NO mechanical abilities. It's amazing if I can chance a light bulb, lol. Can someone please try to explain it to me? Right now I use Kent liquid reactor. It's fine for now, because the only hard coral I have is my hammer. (which has about 6 babies sprouting off the sides of it) Everything else I have are softies.

Thanks,
    Angie

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I have what I think is a good idea of hwo they work, enough where I could probably build one and not blow up the tank, but without a lot of real calcium demanding coral IMO not sure if that would be a worthwhile investment. Have you been monitoring your calcium levels to see if it's really requiring more calcium than a simple kalk drip can't provide? hate to see you toss away that much $$$ for little gain. There are far cheaper and easier methods.

Our 55 is getting to the overfilled point with softies, think the most Ca demanding coral we have would be a few Monti's, but with dripping kalk (1tsp picklig lime per gallon) at about 1/2g per day our Ca stays around 480meg/L and Alk holds at 10-11dKh. pH stays a bit high so started adding one TSP/gal of distilled vinegar to the mix that should bring it back down and hold it steady. Pickling lime runs about $1.50 for a 1lb container that'd last you 6-12 months. Way cheaper considering its the same thing.

Also tried another two part additive of baked baking soda (BBS) and DowFlake, found it from Dr Randy's mixture posted on that marine Aquarist online mag).... way potent stuff, but I may go back down that road to keep the pH under control, running a bit high from the limewater 8.4+ sometimes), the BBS helps buffer the Ca better and stabilizes pH, WHEN you find the right mixture.

Can you tell I'm a cheapskate when it comes to additives, BBS is cheap, Dowflake was $15 for a 50lb bag that will last me years. Cheaper than $15 for a 8oz jar of Kent's Kalk mix.

But if you'd still like all the particulars on the calc reactor I'll try to dig up all the how it works, setup, maintenance, and costs and stuff. The biggest gripe I've read about from people is the CO2, and getting it dialed in without crashing other params, Could be mistaken and I'm sure someone else will chime in here as well.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Default drip

I guess I could go the kalk drip method. How much do I have to drip? I top off about 2.5 gals. per day. I did look into the IV drip kits that I found online. The ro/di water is made and stored in a 50G trash can. Then it goes from the basement into the tank for top off. Can I just drip the kalk into the 50G trash can? Thanks Dakar.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Chime... you rang??? I use both a ca reactor and kalk reactor on the same system. Before I go into any details, let me first suggest testing for a week or so b4 changing your methods. It's entirely possible that with the low amount of ca utilizing corals you have, tank size, flow rate, and media type, that your system may be able to produce the ca, strontium, and some other neccessary trace eliments to sustain you very well with a possible addition of your sand bed annually. Please, give as much detail as you can reguarding your system, the sandbed media type, your flow rate(gph), along with any info you can muster up.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Knew Repto couldn't be too far behind my heels there.... more curious about your Ca and Alk level's now., as well as any other details /trade secrets you are willing to impart upon us.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I can give you all of the information I know. (125G tank)

Temp. 78
    Nitrate .10 5 months it was over 100 then I got RO unit
    nitrite 0
    Calcium 450
    PH 8.2 -8.4

Lights are 3 - 250W 20k MH
    45 G sump w/ chaeto
    pro clear aquatics skimmer (250G)

10 G fuge (pod factory as my hubby calls it)

return pump is a mag 9.5
    4 powerheads for water movement

150 lb Live rock
    sand bed is 100% pure aragonite from www.purearagonite.com
    6 inches deep

For corals all I have are mushrooms, zoanthids, palys, xenia, a few leathers, and my hammer. I used to have tons of softies but I moved 200 miles a year ago in the middle of winter and lost just about everything. (heater in the rental truck quit working)

Livestock
    1 yellow tang
    breeding pair of clarkiis (with anemone)
    1 scooter blenny
    1 coral beauty angel (xenia eater!!)(ate all of the blue/silver kind)
    1 yellow tail damsel (not agressive at all)
    4 green chromis

200+ various snails
    20 blue leg hermits
    2 sand sifting cucumbers
    1 brittle star
    4 peppermint shrimp
    2 emerald crabs (haven't seen them in forever may be dead??)
    1 pom pom crab (only see him about once every 3 months)

I think that's all I can tell ya for now. I hope that helps.

angie

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Now, let it be for a week or so, then test again... without additions. Would advise testing for mag about every 6 months, or so.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

450 is about right for ca. i don't drip or have a ca reactor. but the tap water here is very high in ca. i know most ppl say don't use tap water but i have not had any advers effects.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

If you still feel that the CA reactor is the way you want to go, drop me a PM. One of the guys in our local club emailed me 2 days ago and said he is getting out of the hobby. He gave me a listing of his supplies and has a nice reactor for sale at a pretty good price.

One that same note, if there is something any members want, post it in the want section. Ill email you his list of supplies.
    GT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last