[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Couple Dosing questions and such

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Couple Dosing questions and such

Alright well i've had "nano" tanks since i started saltwater. and have always bought salt that had everything i needed in it, like calcium

with my new 90g tank being set up

What should i dose? should i just stick to salt that has everything i need in it?

would it be smart to invest in a carbon reactor?

If i have a fuge, would i really need a to run phosban/GFO?

Is there anything i should consider dosing?

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Going to think a little on this one. There are so many ways to go about things these days. There are so many possibilities right now, that werent available, or tested well. a couple years ago.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Going to think a little on this one. There are so many ways to go about things these days. There are so many possibilities right now, that werent available, or tested well. a couple years ago.
    i know there are just so many things out there, that you need to ensure coral growth and survival.

maintaining water quality, i have no idea where to start.

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

Dosing minerals depends on the load your corals have. Let me rephrase that.. LPS, SPS use calcium along with other minerals. If you aren't doing water changes with GREAT frequency, they will suck all the minerals they need out of the water. Thus creating the necessity to dose. Salt has all the necessary minerals, but not enough to sustain an infinite number of corals indefinitely.

For me, I have a lot of hard corals. Stuff that really sucks up the Calcium in a hurry. (My clam is giant). I am going to get a calcium reactor when I can afford one. Right now, I dose Calcium every other day at 2 tablespoons of the seachem stuff.

With a fuge, you will have macro algae (I assume) that will suck up some of the waste nutrients.. I run mine on reverse lighting, to help keep the pH in balance. I have never ran carbon, nor any phosban, and I have very minimal algae on my glass. my CuC is amazing. 3 turbos, 5 nasarrius, 20 blue leg hermits, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 spiny urchin, 2 florida fighting conchs, 1 brown brittle star, 1 sand sifting star, 10 Cerith snails, and 10 margarita snails. They all work their little butts off to help me not have to clean so much.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

For calc and alk- I would recomend randys DIY 2 part, or bulk reef supplies DIY 2 part.

Would look into kent tech-m for magnesium- just because of it being tried and true, with the added benefit of algea (bryopsis in particular) submission capabilities.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

The only reason you would need or want to run phosban or GFO is if you use tap water or have really old live rock that has bound up phosphates in the rock that is leaching and causing algea issues.

I personally go with the BRS method and dose 25 mL of alk and calc daily to assist in coral growth. The BRS method includes magnesium as well to help keep all params in line.

Carbon I feel is a must. It is not necessary to run it in one of those fancy reactors either. Placing a bag of carbon in the sump near the return pump works just fine. Not only will it absorb any of the funky stuff released from the corals and fish, but it can help to improve the clarity of the water and over all smell of the tank. In addition to any unwanted chemicals that may be introduced into the tank. For example house hold cleaning products, hair spray, and air fresheners that can travel through the air.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

CR Member

Three things to "dose" in between water changes are Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium. Ca and Alk being the main two (generally everyday), Mag is generally only once or twice a month. To maintain these levels you can use 2-part (or similar), Ca Rx, or Kalkwasser Rx... or combinations of the above.

However, as mentioned this is only if necessary. It will depend on the type of coral you want to keep and the rate they're growing. You might be able to get away with just water changes - I do. My corals are super slow growing (non-photosynthetic) so water changes are sufficient. In previous tanks I've always had to dose to keep up with demand.

Carbon does not have to be ran in a reactor, but it can be.

The necessity to use GFO in conjunction with a refigium is heavily based on bioload, maintenance you perform, and the phosphate level in your aquarium.

You just need to come over and Rachel can moderate the visit

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

You only dose if frequent testing shows you have a demand for something and it is in fact needed.

Usually in the beginning, at least until you start stocking lots of LPS and SPS corals, a good salt mix and water changes are sufficient. This allows you to set a baseline and start monitoring the big three to see if you have a demand. Persoanlly I hate dosing and can't wait to get my calcium reactor reapaired and operational again. Until then though I am using the Bulk Reef 3 part mixes.

I run both carbon and GFO 24/7 to be safe. You know the old saying, and ounce of prevention is worth ....... cheap insurance is what I consider it.

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    You only dose if frequent testing shows you have a demand for something and it is in fact needed.

Usually in the beginning, at least until you start stocking lots of LPS and SPS corals, a good salt mix and water changes are sufficient. This allows you to set a baseline and start monitoring the big three to see if you have a demand. Persoanlly I hate dosing and can't wait to get my calcium reactor reapaired and operational again. Until then though I am using the Bulk Reef 3 part mixes.

I run both carbon and GFO 24/7 to be safe. You know the old saying, and ounce of prevention is worth ....... cheap insurance is what I consider it.
    I've heard of people running GFO to long or running too much of it and having adverse side effects. Are you not worried of this or is it truly not possible. The reason I ask is because I know you are a master of water purification and quality.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Rob

While on the topic, I have a question..........what times of the day are you guys dosing your BRS 2 part. Can it be more beneficial to dose at different times of the day? And dose the element themselves at different times of the day or together staggered?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last