[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DI comparison test

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Default DI comparison test

OK,it's getting close to being time to change filters and Might as well do the DI while I'm there.So I figured I would try the spectra pure DI and see what the hop la is.I already love their doaser's so let's see what the di will do.I will change mine when I see 3 tds and I have a installation date of my present DI so I will see the diffrence by how long it takes it to get to 3 tds.So my big question is what's the preffered spectra pure di?? Max cap or silica buster??
    Likes AJ :), MizTanks liked this post

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

If you have a single DI canister then the SilicaBuster is what you need.

The MaxCap should never be installed by itself or after another DI cartridge, it is intended as a pre DI or roughing filter in a dual DI situation. The MaxCap will extend the life of your downstream DI resin by 3 to 4 times or more when used in this manner. They recommend installing a dual inline TDS meter between the two DI cartridges so you can monitor each seperately. When the MaxCap TDS starts rising you change that cartridge only and you should be able to go through 3 MaxCap cartridges before you need to change your first SilicaBuster cartridge.

In my case I previously had a AWI Typhoon III and used all their standard replacement cartridges and media. No matter what I did I could only get right at 150 gallons or RO/DI water before the TDS started to creep up to 3 or 4. Let me say here, I had a 3/4" flow meter on my tap water feed plus at the time I was only filling 5 gallon drinking water style jugs so the gallonages are very accurate.

I sold the Typhoon and bought a 90 GPD MaxCap. My very first MaxCap cartridge lasted 830 gallons out of the box. I swapped it and got 1100 gallons out of the second MaxCap. The third gave me 1080 gallons at which point I started to see about 2 TDS from the SilicaBuster so changed it at the same time. I never let the TDS get over 2-3 from any of the cartridges. That is 830+1100+1080=3010 gallons out of 4 DI cartridges, 3 MaxCaps and 1 SilicaBuster.

So what would have taken me 20 DI cartridges or refills with the old system,3010 gallons/150 gallons=20, only took me 4 cartridges. These are my personal observations only and are not meant to represent Spectrapure, I am a hobbyist just like everyone else but happen to live in Phoenix so have visited the Spectrapure facility in Tempe several times to save on shipping costs.

I have not owned a system with the SilicaBuster only but Spectrapure says it should last at least 20-30% longer than other mixed bed DI cartridges and I tend to believe them since they have a DI test bench that has been in continous operation for years one end testing every possible resin blend available.

Now I see they even offer "Super DI" versions that are supposed to have 30% more capacity than their regular MaxCap and SilicaBuster and they are only $1 to $4 more expensive so probably a real bargain.
    Untitled Document

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I just installed a MaxCap followed by a Silica Buster in my BRS RO with Dual DI canister. I've only put about 20 gallons through it, so it's far too soon to make any determinations. I'm curious to see how much longer it lasts compared to the BRS DI resin I've been using. My RO produces ~1 TDS water, so I'm hoping to get a long life from both.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

I have always been curious about this. I think I would also try this out. Tagging along for results.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

OK, so what your saying is I should use max cap in my dual di's that are on the ro unit itself and use silica buster in my add on dual final stage di ?? I will most likely get 6 months out of my present di so it will be intresting to see if I get more time out of this brand.I am just now seeing 1 tds out of the unit and still getting 0 tds from the final.The dual carbon block water buster's I run do a fantastic job.So I will most likely just change at the six month point to do the testing.I need to look at the other di document you linked along.I already have two dual inline tds meters installed so keeping track will be easy enough.Both these meters have been checked with a hand unit also so accuracy should be fair.We presently use aprox 60 gallons of ro a week with TO and weekly water changes.So that's over 900 gallons of good water in six months. I'm going to check out the super DI and decied how I am going to do this.I will update as I go.Anyone with experience with this new di your input is more then welcome and thanks for the input already given. Keep it comeing

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

How many cartridges do you have? Sounds like you have way more "stages" than you need and could be actually reducing the membrane performance.

More "stages" are not better, quite the opposite in fact. "Better" stages are the answer. In 99.9% of all situations a single low micron absolute rated sediment filter in the 0.5 or 0.2 micron size rating, a single 10" 0.5 micron KX Matrikx+1 20,000 gallon carnon block, the RO membrane and either one or two 10" 20oz vertical DI cartridges is best.

Every time you add an additional "stage" in front of the RO membrane, you add additional head loss or restriction. Membranes work best at higher pressures so a membrane producing 96% rejection rate at 50 psi could produce 97 0r 98+% rejection rate at 70 or 80 psi. Every psi you drop reduces not only the GPD but also the rejection rate or removal efficiency. You are fortunate to have low TDS in your source water but you may be able to improve you system even more and get lower RO only TDS and longer DI life just by reconfiguring or streamlining your RO system.

What exactly do you have for components and filters? What RO membrane do you use? What is your tap water TDS, RO only TDS and RO/DI TDS? What is your water pressure at the tap? How about at the RO membrane? What is your water temerature? And finally what is your exact measured waste ratio using a measuring cup and watch or clock for one minute?

All these things have a bearing on how well a system works and some tweaking may help even further. The one place extra stages is a blessing is in the DI where dual DI is more bang for your buck. This could be two of the same mixed bed cartridges that you can rotate when you start to see any TDS from the first in line so you rotate the second into the first position and add a new in the second. Or, in the case of the MaxCap two different cartridges but with the first greatly extending the life of the second.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

I have a booster pump going to the membrane so pressure's not an issue and the permate pump and pressure tank keep the di under constant pressure.I am going to try just the silica thru out.My incomeing tds is normally only 230(well water) the usual tds going to the first di's from permate pump is usually 3 to 5 tds out of the first di's is 0 to 3 and the final add on di is always able to produece 0 tds.I run a sediment filter first and two carbon block water blaster filters after the sediment filter . Water then goes to the booster pump directly to the membrane.Membrane rejected water is then sent to permate pump to pressure tantk then to the first di's then sent to the final add on dual di's.I'm pretty happy with the performance really.I change the small di's about every three months and the final di's every six months with the filters.The unit is capable of filling the 50 gallon storage tank very quickly(5 to 6 hours usually).I am curious to see if the silica di will extend the di life.We'll find out. thanks for the input
    Last edited by binford4000; 01-20-2012 at 04:05 PM.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Pressure tanks are not normally recommended for RO/DI water as it is extremely agressive and will leach either the rubber bladder or metal surfaces.
    Storing RO only under pressure is not so much an issue but it is still pretty agressive at such low TDS as you are experiencing. Years ago I started with the normal 3.3 gallon capacity drinking water pressure tank, then added a second to reduce TDS creep then finally went to a 14 gallon pressure tank but still flushed it regularly to keep the TDS down.

Nowadays I did away with the pressurized RO/DI and store pressurized RO only for drinking and other uses and have my RO/DI at atmospheric pressure in a covered Rubbermaid can so TDS is not an issue. The can has been untouched and uncleaned for almost 4 years now and the TDS going to the sump is still less than 1 with a COM-100 meter. My tap TDS is around 630, RO only is between 2 and 3 and DI out of both the MaxCap and SilicaBuster cartridges is 0 for 1000 and 3000 gallons respectively. We do also have high CO2 in Phoenix water for some reason but the resin still lasts a long long time compared to others.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

ok thanks for the info,we'll update when I get the silica buster installed.I have the tank feeding the di's so it shouldn't be an issue as I see it and the tank is needed for the permate pump to function properly.I use only a 2 gallon tank to keep the di's under pressure.We have been fortunate about the tds creep because we top off several systems daily and the add on 2.5# di usually only handles very low TDS so it really is only a polishing filter for lack of a better of term.I also installed a check valve between the the unit and final di's.Not sure if it really helps as much as the unit being always under pressure due to the float valve in the storage tank.I make a habit of turning the tds meter on when I take water out of the storage tank to see how high the creep is.I usually see 3 to 5 tds for a very short time period.Are you saying the bladder will deteriate in the pressure tank?? If I'm reading it correctly?The manufactuer recomends replacement times and plan to adhere to the times.How long did it take for you to notice the issue your discussing?

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

The rubber deteriorates quickly with DI since it is trrying to pull the compounds out of the rubber to get back to its natural balance of ions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last