[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

The End of 2-Part

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Can you explain what you mean by:

Quote Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
    I run the reactor at 6.45pH @ 25mL/Min (30 bubbles/min @ 2PSI.)
    We also have a GEO calcium reactor we picked up used, but have yet to actually set it up. I need to research more. I feel like there is still so much I don't know, but your thread helps a lot. I just don't quite understand what the different settings are. I assume the bubbles/min is the rate that it drips out? The PSI has something to do with the amount of CO2 pumped in?

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud161616 View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by:

We also have a GEO calcium reactor we picked up used, but have yet to actually set it up. I need to research more. I feel like there is still so much I don't know, but your thread helps a lot. I just don't quite understand what the different settings are. I assume the bubbles/min is the rate that it drips out? The PSI has something to do with the amount of CO2 pumped in?
    There are 2 variables in dialing in a reactor - Effluent pH and effluent flow. They are directly proportional - at a given CO2 setting, pH will increase with increased flow through the reactor.

pH is controlled by both the amount of CO2 allowed to enter the reactor and the effluent flow rate.

You can control the amount of CO2 in 2 ways - by changing the bubble count or changing the size of the size of the bubbles.

Bubbles/Min is the rate at which CO2 (bubbles) are allowed to enter the reactor.

Bubble size is controlled by adjusting the PSI on low pressure side of the regulator. I've found that I need at least 1.5 PSI to overcome the check valve.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    You should try to drip your effluent into a cup of aragonite and let it overflow into your sump. This will help to bleed off excess CO2 and raise your Ph.
    Thanks Andy - I'll give it a try.

I'm not sure how much additional degassing is possible. I've tried allowing the effluent to drip into a water column containing an air stone fed by a CO2 scrubber just upstream of the skimmer, which is also fed by zero CO2 air from the scrubber with very little change - but it's certainly worth a try.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    You should try to drip your effluent into a cup of aragonite and let it overflow into your sump. This will help to bleed off excess CO2 and raise your Ph.
    This change was worth a .15 pH increase

What's surprising is I had tried a few different things before including using zero Co2 air from my CO2 scrubber and a very large air stone with very limited success. Just goes to show the simplest solution is often the best.

I used a refillable BRS media canister filled 2/3rds with Oolite and topped with CaRx media - Simple and effective.

Thanks Andy!

First Name
    Thomas

Finally...

It took months, but I finally found and resolved the air leak. Turns out it was not in the CaRx manifold, but in the Carbon Doser regulator (I think the low pressure gauge had a tiny leak.) Aquatic Plants advance shipped a replacement and voila...no more air

This setup is now running perfectly, I couldn't be happier with it. The GEO 612 / Carbon Doser / Cole Parmer combination makes running a reactor on smaller tanks very simple.

First Name
    Thomas

I've been asked to provide photos of previously when the system was on 2-part for comparison to it's current SPS load now using the CaRx. First let me apologize for my lack of photo skills...

Here's the GEO 612 sitting beside the 7 gallon ATO bucket containing RO/DI super-saturated with Kalk (140mL vinegar/7 gallons.) The Cole-Parmer peristaltic pump and controller are directly above and the to the left of the 612. The 5lb CO2 tank and Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser regulator sit behind the 612. All of this is located in the cabinet under the FT.

2012 05 070953 - The End of 2-Part

Here is the system maintained using 2-part.. This photo was taken about a year ago.
    AI44 100 MXS100 - The End of 2-Part

Here it is currently with the calcium reactor. Sorry for the lack of color, it's difficult to tell much detail as the AI LEDs were still in the sunrise mode when I snapped these photos.
    DSC 2850 - The End of 2-Part

DSC 2855 - The End of 2-Part

The DT contains 3 large Monti Caps (left rear corner) that grow so quickly as to require "pruning" every couple of months. There are also 2 clams, a large Squamosa (bottom right) and a medium Maxima (top right.) This is in addition to the ~200+ Acro and Acan Frags in the FT. FWIW, based on the growth of the SPS, I would estimate the Alk and Ca demands to be much greater than when the system was maintained using 2 part.

Wow, In comparing these photos, I just realized how much the Maxima and especially the Squamosa has grown in the last year.

First Name
    Thomas

It appears the addition of 10% Dolomite (ZeoMag) to the GEO 612 is helping support Mg levels at ~1350. Prior to adding the ZeoMAg, with ~30% monthly water changes (RC), I was dosing 200~300mL BRS Mg solution monthly. No additional MG was required this month.

I'm glad to see signs that the ZeoMAg is dissolving - I was concerned that the 6.68pH that I run the reactor at might not be low enough for the ZeoMAg. I'll wait and see what happens next month before drawing any conclusions.

First Name
    Thomas

It looks like the ZeoMAg is working. This morning's Mag test showed 1650, with only normal water changes. I'm especially impressed as I've added quite a few new Frags in the past month and the 612 is keeping up just fine @ 6.68 pH.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Ummmm yea ok....I totally understand
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2