[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

GFO & Carbon in one bag?

Bookmark and Share
    dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Default GFO & Carbon in one bag?

I have GFO in a bag and I have active carbon in another. Is there any reason I couldn't put them both in a single bag?

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

They can be combined (i.e. ChemiPure Elite) A few considerations...
    • GFO and GAC usually become exhausted at different rates.
    • GFO is usually tumbled to keep it from solidifying from calcium precipitation.
    • Running both in reactors with the GAC downstream allows for the collection of GFO fines.
    • If run passively, doubling the volume in a single filter bag may result in less flow through the bag.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

My set up only allows for a passive system. At least, without a LOT of mods... I was worried about GFO solidifying, so I kinda scrunch it up ever so often. But, the point about reduced flow has probably talked me out of it. Worth asking, though, eh?

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Even if you continue with 2 filter bags and assuming the flow was OK, adding carbon to the GFO bag "might" reduce the clumping of the GFO.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I was running something similar. Mixed equal parts of both in 1 bag. Not sure if it did any good though and i took it out during a wc and just never replaced it.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I ran both together for a long time until i got my reactor. Just make sure to smack the bag around every so often so the gfo dosnt clump up.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member

They should be in their own bags but there are different granual sizes designed for reactor vs bags. BRS has a good write up and video on different types.

CR Member

The only reason why you need to tumble GFO is to make sure that it does not clump. You can accomplish that by mixing 1 part GFO to 2 parts GAC. The extra GAC will prevent the GFO from clumping (e.g. ChemiPure Elite). That's conservative and you can also do 1 part GFO to 1 part GAC if you like to live life on the edge. The major drawback is that GFO is exhausted much more quickly than GAC so you will spend more money (on GAC) for the convenience of a one pot solution.