[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

GFO without a reactor?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default GFO without a reactor?

Simple question here folks. Can I put a filter bag filled with BRS GFO and put it in a high flow area in my fuge and have it work.
    Please know, I know it would work best with a reactor. But unless someone has one they want to give away, shipping and all. Don't suggest one to me as I haven't the $$$.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

It will work to a point and I have used it this way to lower phosphates with success. I think the chemipure elite bags are just gfo and carbon.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

That's all I do...I mix GFO with carbon in a mesh filter bag and put it in the back compartment of my biocube. I rinse the bag (with the GO and carbon in it) prior to placing in my tank to remove the fine dust particles.

When I had a GFO reactor running I found it to easily turn into cement in the reactor and was a pain to change out. (Not to mention some reactors are just a pain to open up and change anyway.) The filter bag method is a lot easier and simpler. It may not be as "efficient" but for me it works out just fine.

Also, you are better off putting small amounts...in a bag and changing it more often than large amounts and changing it less often in my experience.

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

It will do some good. Better than nothing. The big problem is GFO clumps very easy and the tumbling action in the reactor not only makes it work better, but stops it from clumping so it works longer. If you knead it every day or two, it should really help.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

The clumping or turning to cement is why I like to add the carbon to it. It helps keep it from doing that. But yeah, little amounts more often are better because it can turn into a solid mass that isn't as efficient.

The reactor in theory helps this, but you have to get the flow just right because too little and it clumps, too much and the stuff will turn into finer particles and flow out of the reactor.

For a smaller tank, the filter bag method works about as well as the reactor.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Ok this is good info~BRS sells the fine grain, the pellet and the larger rock like gfo. Wouldn't the pellet or larger of the gfo work best? I think the larger would allow for more flow, without the worry of it clumping. Yes/No?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

Following up from http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/me...94/#post137847 , I have put the GFO in a sock in the belly of the sump and have been doing 10% water changes every other day. I'm using "PhosGuard" pellets. It's now 4 days later and I can't get the phosphates down! The test kit I have (LFS matched) are topped out in the test at 10ppm. After last night's suggestion, I've ordered a reactor but it's not in yet.... Does anyone else have any suggestions for getting phosphates down? Tap water is about 2.5ppm and out of the RODI it's 0. Tank is 220g w/ 40g sump.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I run phosGuard in a bag mixed with carbon. Now im going to try out a GFO reactor when I get home Andy has. Im trying to bring my phosphates down a bit more.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Keith
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by msk007 View Post
    Following up from http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/me...94/#post137847 , I have put the GFO in a sock in the belly of the sump and have been doing 10% water changes every other day. I'm using "PhosGuard" pellets. It's now 4 days later and I can't get the phosphates down! The test kit I have (LFS matched) are topped out in the test at 10ppm. After last night's suggestion, I've ordered a reactor but it's not in yet.... Does anyone else have any suggestions for getting phosphates down? Tap water is about 2.5ppm and out of the RODI it's 0. Tank is 220g w/ 40g sump.
    For me, it took a good 4 weeks for the GFO to get my phosphates down to undetectable! IMO, 4 days is just the start! Initially, you may need to replace the GFO every week, as it can deplete it's phosphate binding ability quickly if the phosphates in your system are really high. Once you get your phosphates to the desired level, the GFO can then last up to a month before needing replaced. HTH!

The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

What are the Opinions on the best GFO?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last