[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Improving anerobic bacteria cultivation - does it work ?

Bookmark and Share

Default Improving anerobic bacteria cultivation - does it work ?

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi all,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm about to set up my new 120g tank and after experience with the current 50g tank, I want to build a system that will support high stock level of fish, some coral and lower nitrate level. (currently, the 50g does a good job of getting rid of ammonia and nitrite but cannot get the nitrates low enough).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Question 1 - I am planning on having a sand bed on the display tank of 3 inches of No. 1 grade (fine) coral sand. Is that deep enough to get anerobic nitrate-eating bacteria ? Due to the design of the overflow, I cannot go higher than 3 inches.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Question 2 - Does it help to put some sintered glass rings at the bottom of the sand bed to increase the surface area for those bacteria ? Does it work or will it fail - it will be in fine coral sand.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I will have a small refugium in the sump - if the answer to Q2 above is yes, it works, I would put more sintered glass rings at the bottom of that one - I plan to have about 4 or 5 inches of fine sand in the refugium.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any opinions ?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#shlim944#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

first off your bed is deep enough. I am not sure about question 2 have never researched that but I will do some checking now you got me curious... and as for your refugium I would make that as big as possible and put sand in it and as much live rock you can fit in there that will increase your surface that the nitrobacter will grow on. good luck :D
    fulltankshot 1 - Improving anerobic bacteria cultivation - does it work ?

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

The best thing you can do for a sand bed is get a cup of sand from other will established tanks do it from several if possible thees will give you the best diversity you can get.
    I still try to do this at least one time a year.
    A 3'' sand bed will work i prefer at least 4 to 6 but thank you will be alright
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? You could try to lower the nitrates with some clams. I've heard that they're great at that. You can even get some lower level light clams, they just aren't as purty.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

First Name
    Greg

oh yeah clams are literally natures protein skimmers!!!!

Default T5 - sort of..

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm currently "borrowing" 2 of the T5 lights (one white and one blue) from my future 120g. Managed to stand it on top of the 50g tank cover. Now it shines directly down on my one and only clam. I've also got a clump of weeds (someone gave it to me) in a "stick on the side of the tank" container. Also receiving light from the T5. Don't know what kind of weed it is - it's got fine strands and clumps in a ball, no roots, no stem etc. It is meant to go into the refugium of the new tank. Are these weeds recommended for the refugium ? I know cheto (sp) is recommended, but don't know how they look like !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's been about a week and I cannot see any difference in the nitrate level - maybe the clam and weed is too small ? Clam is about 3 inches in length.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Greg

how long have you had the tank up???? check out my previous post about cheato it has a pic. do you have any live rock in there? that will help with the nitrate. what are your parameters on your tank.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My current tank has a nitrate factory - aka wet/dry sump. Hence the nitrates are naturally high. But the advantage is that the ammonia and nitrite is zero for a very high bioload. Nitrates are in the region of 20-30ppm. Lately it has not crossed 30ppm. That's with weekly water changes (a pain), one clam and some weeds and a new skimmer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Frankly, I've not really noticed any issues with my coral yet. I presume it may be more of a mid/long term issue.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With the new tank, I am trying to increase the efficiency of the refugium - hence the question of putting biohome sintered glass into the sand as well. I guess it is worth a try, at worse case it just won't do anything, I can't think of any harm it can cause. I am also thinking of getting a better skimmer, maybe a beckett with a 5000l/h pump. That'll probably improve things dramatically.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In a month's time, I'll end up with a 50g and a 120g, to split up between different types of display. The smaller tank will have anenomes (and some fishes), while the 120g will have corals (and fishes). I've lost too many smaller fishes tomy current bubble tipanenome hence the split. Also didn't have the space to go for a 180g.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've just run into another snag - the T5 lights (running only 2 at the moment, temporarily on the 50g) is running the tank too hot. The fans cannot take the heat, looks like with the 4xT5, I'llalso need a chiller. This is getting expensive !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any thoughts from anyoneon the sintered glass in the sand of the refugium (or maybe into the sand of the display as well ?)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#shlim944#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#