[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

high magnesium

Bookmark and Share
    Bluwinghawk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

Default high magnesium

Hi all hope this is right place I have change my system to a new and bigger one it has been going for a year now still learning about testing and parameters and need help with my new test kits ive done 2 tests
    1/3/12
    salt 1.025 temp 79, alk 190, hagen test around 2.9 with red sea phos under .25 API cal. 660 API mag n/a PH bluish guessing 8.0 red sea nitites amonia 0 nitrates.20 or less

1/9/13 salt 1.024 temp same 79 alk lower 160 phos lower 0 cal lower 540 MAG over 1500 done with salfert, ph same 8.0

I have done a partail water change using reef crystals salt and top off with rodi system and cleaned protien skimmer between test

now is my mag test so high because my cal is over 500 and what measures should i take to correct my parameters every one seems happy but i do have some eccess alge but seem to be getting better

Ive also been watching alot of vidios and thinking on investing into the hanna test its they seem to be much more easier to read any feed back is most welcome thanks
    Rick

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

A couple of questions first... are the dates of the tests correct, has it been one year between tests? What are the units of the alkalinity test?

Regardless, High magnesium will not harm anything.

If you dose calcium and alkalinity use the calculator here on CR to determine the amount of each to add to reach your target numbers.

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

If you are dosing for ca/alk/mag I'd stop for at least a week. Then get 1 good test kit (I personally use the Red Sea pro for all 3) test your parameters then begin dosing according to the recommended amount on the chart.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Rick

lol thanks that would be 12/31/12 not 3 alk/ph kits hagen is mg/L red sea is color chart between normal and high over the year everything would go up and down but i never checked mag didnt have the test so thank you both for helping

jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

I prefer the salifert test kits, myself. There a bit technical, and not as fast. But they are accurate. The Hanna ones are awesome though if you can get one.

CR Member

High magnesium is not a bad thing. It's when it gets low that you can have problems. I would get good test kits and worry more about your alk and calcium levels as far as dosing goes. I wouldn't stop for a week if you have a lot of corals. Whatever you do make small adjustments to your dosing to bring it down slowly. You do not want big swings in levels!
    Likes N/A liked this post

First Name
    Rick

havent set up my controler yet but what about dip sticks for quick referance and im looking into better testing eqiupment what would you suggest for testing schudule once a week, more or less and whats the best way to dose the tank I have about 6 pcs of coral and a bubble tip a yellow tank koran angle a fish i havent ID yet six line wrasse and a plate coral fire shimp 2 pistols yellow watchman goby and SS star and a choclet chip wich i need to find a home for. the whole system about 80 gal. DT 65 with actnic blue and high noon mixed with cool whites leds diy kit

First Name
    Rick

checking in before work any and all feed back welcomed

First Name
    Rick

any feed back for dosing best method? and products?