[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Homemade 2 Part solution for Calcium and Alkalinity

Bookmark and Share
    Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Homemade 2 Part solution for Calcium and Alkalinity

I have been using this recipe by Randy Holmes-Farley for about 2 months now with very good results. I thought I would pass it along to all of you as well.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

It is much cheaper then buying pre-made two part solutions. I bought a 5 pond bag of the baking soda at Costco for less then 6 bucks. Thats will due probably 20 gallons of alkalinity solution.

It is a good time to stock up on the calcium ingredents since most of used for driveway melts. I have been using the Kent Turbo Calcium but I will be buying a can of the Prestone Driveway Melt, 8 pounds for $8, vs 1 pound for $12, the next time I'm in Home Depot.

I have not been doing the Magnesium part yet since I do not have a test kit at this point.

I make a gallon at a time of each and then fill 1 litter bottle to keep near the tank. I made a simple little DIY drip system over the sump so each night I pour equal amounts in and move on. I can post a pic if anyone wants to see.

THANKS! I do believe I will be giving this a try very soon, as I am almost out of my commercial-bought 2 part additive!

Of course we'd like to see pics of your dosing system!

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I tried that 2-part mixture... after the first night of over guessing the concentrations needed and OD'd the tank a bit. But once I got things settled out and diluted the calcium side of it to suit my needs (Oceanic salt mix is already quite high in calcium content) it worked quite well. Easily able to keep calcium over 480ppm and Alk around 10dKH.

But for cheap!

What did your calculations work out to for making up the 2part mixtures?

Baking soda I found at WallyWorld in a 5 pound box for like $4 or so.
    Even managed to find a place to order in actual Dowflake for me, ordered three 50# bags, two ended up spoken for before I could even pick them up but still have 2/3 of a bag.

Pretty sure Jason has been using Type-S something available from HD in large quantities for cheap too. Not available around us for some reason.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.