[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

How often do you change your water?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    David
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default How often do you change your water?

this topic came up at work today between a few reefers, and i change 10% weekly and they all do 10% bi weekly, my filtration setup is superior to theirs, they dont even run skimmers. Im just curious if im over doing it or are they under doing it? thanks everyone!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I don't understand the NOT good for nutrient export comment but oh well
    I change out 6g 1x weekly. I am running a nano skimmer also. I dose 2part daily.
    I think it all really depends on your other filtration. Skimmers, reactors and the like.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

15-20% bi weekly. i dont miss waterchanges.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I perform 10% changes once a week (occasionally missing a week here or there).

Whether a tank needs weekly or biweekly changes has a lot to do with nutrient inputs and trace element removal.

I have also heard that nutrient removal via small % water changes is not terribly effective. I'll post some info on it... if I can find it.

Tom

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I perform 10% changes once a week (occasionally missing a week here or there).

Whether a tank needs weekly or biweekly changes has a lot to do with nutrient inputs and trace element removal.

I have also heard that nutrient removal via small % water changes is not terribly effective. I'll post some info on it... if I can find it.

Tom
    I do 10% weekly.

Think of it this way say you have a 100g tank with 100ppm of nitrates. If you do a 10g water change nitrates will only drop to 90, and the next week 81, next week 73 and week 4 67ppm(assuming you dont produce more probably more like 80ppm). But if you do a 40g water change at once it would be 60ppm.
    150g 1" acrylic Sps reef mp40 and 4 k4s for flow. Aquaeuro 400 skimmer and 135 calcium reactor. 2 250w radiums on galaxy ballasts.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwaternoob View Post
    I do 10% weekly.

Think of it this way say you have a 100g tank with 100ppm of nitrates. If you do a 10g water change nitrates will only drop to 90, and the next week 81, next week 73 and week 4 67ppm(assuming you dont produce more probably more like 80ppm). But if you do a 40g water change at once it would be 60ppm.
    Thanks for supplying the rational!

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I guess I'm still a little confused as to how removing water wouldn't be removing nutrients? Are all the nutrients just sitting on the rock and sand? What does a skimmer remove from the water?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I guess I'm still a little confused as to how removing water wouldn't be removing nutrients? Are all the nutrients just sitting on the rock and sand? What does a skimmer remove from the water?
    Water changes are the good for nutrient export, I dont know if the above poster ment using it as a sole form for controlling water chemistry. Or that small volume water changes are not effective at removing large quantities of organics.

Nutrients get broken down by the bacteria in the rock/sand Ammonia- nitrite - nitrate in that order.

Skimmers remove organic materials hopefully before they break down in to waste.
    150g 1" acrylic Sps reef mp40 and 4 k4s for flow. Aquaeuro 400 skimmer and 135 calcium reactor. 2 250w radiums on galaxy ballasts.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

i change 30 gallons a week in my reef tank 100 Gallons total vol so 30 % my fish only i do 10 % monthly
    i have a lot of sps and mixed corals in it but i over feed so i do more then normal imo
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2