[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Im lost of wat to do.

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Yes go ahead and put it in

Ok i have now

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm not sure if Brightwells MB7 is any better than prime, but I have used it with success in the past. It contains live bacteria that should help re-establish your filtration.

With that said, we could use some additional information about your tank to help figure it out. Maybe a photo or two so we can see it.

When you moved the tank, did you leave the sand bed in the tank or remove it? Did you re-use the sand?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I'm not sure if Brightwells MB7 is any better than prime, but I have used it with success in the past. It contains live bacteria that should help re-establish your filtration.

With that said, we could use some additional information about your tank to help figure it out. Maybe a photo or two so we can see it.

When you moved the tank, did you leave the sand bed in the tank or remove it? Did you re-use the sand?
    +1 I agree with Jim,personally I do not use prime except in emergency situation and then it is a last ditch effort. I suggested the micro actor 7 because it is a bacterial additive that establishes the nitrifying cycle. You can have the best equipment available but if you do not established the bacterial needs of your man made eco system. You will have nothing but trouble. Jut my 02 tho

Lesley - Reefkeeper CR Member

Buy some Seachem Prime & stability.
    Prime will save your livestock and not hurt your bacteria. It stops, ammonia nitrites and nitrates for a 24hr period. So dose every 24hrs as long as you have ammonia reading. While dosing Prime use stability - it is one of the best bacteria supplements around.
    We recently moved into a new 310g and it saved my tank.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post

I disagree with what you have said I think you may be confused regarding prime. It is not a bacterial supplement at all its a Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate suspension product. It works 100% and stops any of those things becoming harmful to the livstock for a period of 24hrs. Is safe to use while getting through this type of situation. Safe for fish, invertebrate corls etc.

Also in this situation a large water change is called for. 90% of bacteria is living on sand and rocks, 10 % lives in the water colum. when it comes to an emergency situation I have done up to 70% change with no ill effects at all, 10% will do nothing to save livestock. Obviously the water has to be as closely match to DT water as possible particularly Salinity, temp & alkalinity.

Hope this helps.
    Likes Sir Patrick, jimsflies liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

So how's your test results ?? Your call on the prime. Many people swear by it I personally have only used it once in the 25 + years of being in this hobby so can't really recommended if you should or shouldn't use it. I can say water quality is the most important aspect of sucsesses in maintaing your aquarium. This is why you read so much of cycling your tank .Establishing the bacterial filtration of your system will only lead to long term enjoyment of your tank.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
    I disagree with what you have said I think you may be confused regarding prime. It is not a bacterial supplement at all its a Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate suspension product. It works 100% and stops any of those things becoming harmful to the livstock for a period of 24hrs. Is safe to use while getting through this type of situation. Safe for fish, invertebrate corls etc.

Also in this situation a large water change is called for. 90% of bacteria is living on sand and rocks, 10 % lives in the water colum. when it comes to an emergency situation I have done up to 70% change with no ill effects at all, 10% will do nothing to save livestock. Obviously the water has to be as closely match to DT water as possible particularly Salinity, temp & alkalinity.

Hope this helps.
    I'm not sure what you disagree with? My suggestion though was to add MB7 to boost bacteria which apparently isn't sufficient to keep up with processing nitrogen waste. I didn't really say much about Prime because I haven't used it.

Is there a reason both products couldn't be added in this situation?

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are all in a dissolved form and are always in "suspension". While my original post didn't say it, I will say that my problem with many aquarium additives in general is they don't exactly tell you what it is/the reason it works.

I took a minute to look up Prime on the Seachem website. Prime is supposed to be a dechlorinating agent (active ingredient is sodium thiosulfate) which should have no impact on ammonia. Other sites discuss dechlorinating choramine treated water and mention that free ammonia will remain if treated with sodium thiosulfate. (BTW- Chloraminated water is using chlorine combined with ammonia to create a disinfectant that has a longer residual than free chlorine alone. Most water supplies do not use chloramines.)

Their FAQ on nitrite and nitrate is also interesting:

The detoxification of nitrite and nitrate by Prime (when used at elevated levels) is not well understood from a mechanistic standpoint. The most likely explanation is that the nitrite and nitrate is removed in a manner similar to the way ammonia is removed; i.e. it is bound and held in a inert state until such time that bacteria in the biological filter are able to take a hold of it, break it apart and use it. Two other possible scenarios are reduction to nitrogen (N2) gas or conversion into a benign organic nitrogen compound.

I wish we had some more "concrete" explanation, but the end result is the same, it does actually detoxify nitrite and nitrate. This was unexpected chemically and thus initially we were not even aware of this, however we received numerous reports from customers stating that when they overdosed with Prime they were able to reduce or eliminate the high death rates they experienced when their nitrite and nitrate levels were high. We have received enough reports to date to ensure that this is no fluke and is in fact a verifiable function of the product.
    This would be an experiment that would be easy to perform by a company like Seachem. It seems odd to me that they would rely on anecdotal information to make claims.

But regardless, if it helps I say go ahead and use it. But those in this situation may want to also consider adding MB7 (or other similar live culture products). Until the bacterial filtration can be re-established, ammonia and nitrite will continue to be a problem.
    Likes binford4000 liked this post

It was this comment that confused me completely, The way its worded is you are comparing 2 different products all together, MB7 is for bacterial growth - prime is a ammonia nitrite and nitrate binder ! Prime has nothing to do with bacterial growth.

It is a great idea to use a bacterial supplement but if the ammonia nitrite & eventually nitrates are not taken care of at the same time the livestock will die ! The original post was that her ammonia is high, you know that ammonia is deadly to saltwater fish so she needs to use both products. Just dosing Brightwell will help with bacteria but that takes time to grow, doesn't happen overnight, the ammonia is more of a concern at the moment.

Below is the FACT about prime and how it works. I can support 100% it does what it says it does.

rime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime® is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime® will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

Sizes: 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2 L, 4 L, 20 L

Why It's Different
    Nearly all companies manufacture a product that removes chlorine. None of those, however, can compare in quality, concentration, or effectiveness to Seachem’s flagship product: Prime®. Prime® is the second most concentrated dechlorinator on the market after our own aquavitro alpha™. A single 100 mL bottle will treat 1000 US gallons of tap water. Prime® will remove both chlorine and chloramines from municipal water supplies.

Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl2) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3).

Typically, dechlorinators stop there, leaving an aquarium full of toxic ammonia! Seachem takes the necessary next step by including an ammonia binder to detoxify the ammonia produced in the reduction process.

Be very careful when purchasing water conditioners. If your municipality includes chloramines in the water supplies, a standard sodium thiosulfate dechlorinator is not enough. Prime® promotes the natural production and restoration of the slime coat rather than relying on artificial or non-native slime compounds. A further bonus for the reef hobbyist—Prime® will not overactivate protein skimmers.

Directions

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3