[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Im lost of wat to do.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Default Im lost of wat to do.

Ive had my tank for a year its always been nice n I moved it nothing died during the move but sence then my water is off ammonia has hit pretty high out of nowhere. Did I do to big of a water change during the move? Wat do I do to help the hurting?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

The move probably messed with the bacterial community. So you're getting another cycle. I'm not sure exactly what to do, but I think riding it out is probably fine.

Tom

So dont do any water changes until it cycles?

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I'm not the best person to answer that... I haven't had a tank cycle in over 15 years. Are any of your inhabitants showings signs of stress? If they aren't then hold off on water changes and let the tank settle back in. If things are stressing then change water but don't disturb the sand. Also try to get a second opinion on your ammonia levels (LFS or another kit). it could just be a bad reading.

Tom

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

^^^^+1. I agree get your Ammonia checked to see if your test kits reading correctly . If you do have a Ammonia spike your haveing a cycle or should say the tank has just started a cycle. Ammonia can be very dangerous to your fish and coral. I would recommend setting up a QT and get your livestock out of the tank. Then start a enzyme and biological treatment like microbacter 7 or bio digest to Reestablish a biological bed and get the nitrifying cycle re established. You should see the Ammonia drop and the No3 spike. It will be done when the No3 drops backdown. Good luck
    Likes Tom@HaslettMI liked this post

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    ^^^^+1. I agree get your Ammonia checked to see if your test kits reading correctly . If you do have a Ammonia spike your haveing a cycle or should say the tank has just started a cycle. Ammonia can be very dangerous to your fish and coral. I would recommend setting up a QT and get your livestock out of the tank. Then start a enzyme and biological treatment like microbacter 7 or bio digest to Reestablish a biological bed and get the nitrifying cycle re established. You should see the Ammonia drop and the No3 spike. It will be done when the No3 drops backdown. Good luck
    Good call on the bacteria dosing!

Tom

Ive given detox n the bacteria now so now waiting n testing

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I had a ammonia spike a few years ago and lost a tank. I think when I did a bunch of water changes made it worse. Hopefully riding it out is a cure. Keep us posted on the progress.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Pretty much once u hit a balence ya just keep doing water changes small ones once a week right? Ive always had a hard time with the cycling

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Ipyloves View Post
    Pretty much once u hit a balence ya just keep doing water changes small ones once a week right? Ive always had a hard time with the cycling
    That's correct,try to keep the changes around 10% or less of your water volume. Your situation is slightly diffrent because you still have your livestock in the cycling tank.stick to directions of the Bactria product and keep your testing up and consistant. Results will tell you what's going on better then anything. Once the nitrifying cycle kicks in use a carbon source to feed it. Many people do not do this and wonder why they still get algae issues after the cycle is done. I use brightwell's bio fuel many people use vodka also. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last