[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

kalk reactor

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default kalk reactor

I have been considering getting one for a while but dont understand exactly how they work.Are the impurities stil left behind like with traditional kalk dosing methods?

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I believe so... are you talking about using a sealed kalk reactor(fed by pump)? Gonna have a controller? I like the method of top off feed for evap.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Repto why don't you post some pics and explanation of your DIY reactor for us.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

The ones i saw were the sealed kind.It just doesn't seem like a good idea if you still have to go clean the impurities out every week like with traditional methods.Thats really my only complaint with my current gravity-fed method.

Default DIY Kalk reactor...

It's simple, really...
    Materials needed:
    -An ro/di feeding tank(auto ro/di, basically any source) for a continuous flow of fresh water.
    -A 5 gallon bucket with lid
    -2 float valve or switch(I use valves)
    -A small power head
    -A appliance timer with the ability to have 3 on/off cycles in a 24hr period
    -A source of pure lime(pickling lime, kalkwasser mix, etc.)
    -A small bulkhead for an outlet from 5 gl bucket to float valve in sump via 1/4" vinyl tubing
    (usually modified sprinkler drip system parts... plastic only!!!)

#1 Drill the 5 gl bucket for initial float valve from ro source and install float valve(as high as possible allowing space for a snug fit for the lid) and bend the arm so that it will not come in contact with the solution in the bucket when in use.
    #2 Drill the out let about 1/2-2/3 from bottom of bucket (sized to your bulkead fitting for the line going to the float valve in your sump) and install outlet(make sure you use a valve in-line for maint reasons).
    #3 drill a hole just big enough for your powerheads cord to rest at the same level as your ro inlet/float valve and then with a sharp knife or utility knife, make a slit from top of bucket to hole to slip poerhead cord through so that the lid will sit snuggly on top of bucket.
    #4 place powerhead into bucket about 2/3 way down(just hanging is fine as long as the nozzle looks to agitate the water well when on and place cord into the pre-drilled and cut hole then secure from the outside of the bucket with whatever you feel comfortable(plastic clamp works well)...test to make sure you have no leaks and reactor is done.
    #5 Now install float valve into sump and adjust to desired height for top off to remain(a plastic float valve/switch is required here).
    #6 now close outlet valve from bucket to sump and install reactor as desired(other buckets, etc may be used... just modify to fit all parts. Narrower reactor tubes may need float switches due to lack of space that a float valve usually requires.
    #7 begin allowing the reactor to fill with fresh ro/di water and add just a cup or so of pure lime... when you can operate your powerhead submersed, do so to test how well it's agitating the solution(kalkwasser, limewater). You should test the ph there and it should remain(in the reactor at about 12-12.5).
    #8 Now set the proper time on the timer. At the time of all lights out(other than moonlights if desired), set the timer for at least 5 min-30 min, do it again for when lights begin coming on, and once in about the middle of those 2 times while lights are out(early am). Now, plug your powerhead in and you're done(tweak as needed and monitor your ph, alk, and ca for a few days.

I add about 1 cup of lime to the reactor a week, but situations are different all around. Test your ph in the reactor, if it's falling, first test your powerhead and make sure that everything is running(dosing) as neccessary. If all's good, add lime to the reactor and test again in about 15 min. Things should be back to norm. This is what I have used for a while no with no probs other than my 1st bucket's outlet was too low and occasionally clogged with lime... still very little chances of overflow, but that has not reoccurred since redesigning for a higher return.

Here's some pics...

Repto,How often do you clean the impurities out of the 5gal bucket?

I just use a papertowel(plainwhite... no scents) and lay it across the top of the solution to grab the crusties. As for anything else, haven't yet... I imagine anything that's not skimmed with the paper towel will disipate... pretty acidic stuff in a reactor.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Cool thanks for the idea's!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Maybe its the brand of lime i'e been buying,but after using 5 gal I get a tan colored residue in the bottom of my bucket.I end up cleaning it out every time i make a new batch which is about every 5 days.

ereefic - Reefkeeper CR Member

You really don't need to clean out the impurities that often. They'll just settle again when you mix up a new batch. I clean out my 33 gal. trash can maybe once every 3 months.

Can't imagine you needing to clean out the Kalk reactor all that often too. Guess it depends on how much you run through the reactor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last