[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Cycling experiment.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Cycling experiment.

Okay, finally getting our 180, wet about 1/2 way there now. Poor RO unit has been running for three days straight (good RO unit, poor water pressure & well water @ 60* isn't helping). Just using a 1" sand bed. Tossed in a heater and PH's to keep the circulation going for now, and of course a large cocktail shrimp to jump start the ammo.

Now I managed to locate some great looking base rock, super porous, and lightweight for its mass, water will litterly run right through it, so @ $1.59/lb tough to go wrong there, so I grabbed up the best looking 50lbs I could find. My guess is this stuff should turn into fantastic live rock in a short amount of time given the tremendous amount of sruface area. As soon as the LFS restocks with some new stuff I'll get another 50-100 lbs of this stuff. I realy like it. As soon as I get the rest of the water in and the sandstorm subsides I'll get some pics.

Now the expiriment part, I srcubbed and rinsed all the rock down pretty good and now the experiemnt, just tossed it in. Think the bacteria from the cycle will populate the rock as is without havign to add LR to the tank? I am going to toss in a few cups of live sand from the existing fuge to jump start the sand bed in a couple weeks.

Ultimate goal is to see if I can get the whole tank up and running WITHOUT having to pay out the nose for LR. I'm going to add 20-30lbs of LR rubble later to help boost the little critter population and establish itself.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

May take some added time, but should work just the same.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

First Name
    Dave

Well she's FINALLY filled up, and the sandstorm is starting to settle, can see about halfway to the back of the tank... gotta love that SD cloud. Definately going to have to create some sort of transfer pump or something. 180gals were toted upstairs 5g at a time lotsa up and down the stairs, that and I think my right arm is now an inch longer than the left.

Now the hardest part of all....waiting, waiting, and more waiting, good thing I have the 55 to play in for a while yet.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

It's the wait that seems to be the fall of us all.

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

i did some thing simaler to that with this last tank i just setup. i had a few utah rocks in my sump. put them in the tank with 2 cups of live sand to seed the utah sand i put in the tank. let it run for a couple of days to clear the water and put corals in. just some xeina, zoo's, encrusting gargonins. its been running for about 3 weeks has tons of pods and misys shrimp. i'm using natural sun light with 4 40 watt NO's.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

The next phase of "experiment tank"...

First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by peregrinus
    i did some thing simaler to that with this last tank i just setup. i had a few utah rocks in my sump. put them in the tank with 2 cups of live sand to seed the utah sand i put in the tank. let it run for a couple of days to clear the water and put corals in. just some xeina, zoo's, encrusting gargonins. its been running for about 3 weeks has tons of pods and misys shrimp. i'm using natural sun light with 4 40 watt NO's.
    That's pretty agressive, have you been keeping a record of the water param's? That'd be quite the interesting nitrogen cycle to see recorded as it aged from startup.

The experiment will work just fine. I am a bargin hunter.....and I have added $1.89 base rock to beginning tanks with much success. (after curing the rock of course) It was a great idea to add some live sand and a bit of rubble rock to the mix.

as a side note: regarding your dust cloud....lol...have you added your salt yet? I find that when setting up a tank adding some extra salt will help clear the tank up right away. Then a small amount of substrate vaccumming will clean up any of the settled debris.

GT

First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster_Toad
    as a side note: regarding your dust cloud....lol...have you added your salt yet? I find that when setting up a tank adding some extra salt will help clear the tank up right away. Then a small amount of substrate vaccumming will clean up any of the settled debris.
    GT
    Adding extra salt? care to elaborate on that a bit? I put down the sand, and then added the water pre-mixed to 1.024SG, of course got really tired of chasing the plate around trying not to stir up the sand too badly and just started dumping it in, so it got good and stirred up.

Good thing is I tossed in the cocktail shrimp late last week, tested water last night and ammo is already up to 40ppm and nitrite up to .50ppm, no nitrate forming yet. That's a lot of water to populate. So at least the finer sand particles that are still cruising around will hopefully be bound up by bacteria and settle faster and stay that way. I did crank up the heater a little to bring the tank up to about 85* to give the bacteria a little metabolism boost since I didn't 'cure' the base rock, scrubbed it down and rinsed and tossed it in. The real experiment is to see how much longer if any for the critters to grow out and start populating the base rock.

here is a few pics for an example...

1st pic (bottom of post) is tank 2 days after adding Southdown

2nd (middle pic) is 1 day after adding salt

3rd (top) is 3 days after salt addition.I also added a hang on filter just to help with the cleanup. The haze you see is actually on the glass.

I had the salinity running at about 1.30. When you clear up simple do your next few WC with less salt. The bacteria and microbes in your sand and rocks wont care a bit.

GT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last