[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

kalkwasser advice needed

Bookmark and Share
    Rpalt1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    rich

Default kalkwasser advice needed

I've been reading alot about kalk and it seems to be the one thing most reefers use. My tank is ok for now but when i start adding corals i would like the option of doing this. My dilemma is that i can't run a sump and top off manually. Can i still do kalk or would 2 part be easier? If i do a kalk drip how do you know how long to drip or how much?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

2 part would be your best option

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

i use 2 part. it works great for me

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I use both Kalk and 2-part. My ATO runs through a kalk reactor and I have 2-part on dosing pumps via apex. As soon as I added 2-part, my SPS took off and have been doing well since then. Kalk is important for me because I need the pH boost.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

It really isn"t needed tell your livestock depletes the alk and or calcium faster then your water changes can replenish them. Have you corrected your water quality issue yet?? R/O DI??? It is best to go slow and prioritize what will be most beneficial to your success. Introducing several things at once is a recipe for disaster. Just my .02
    If you feel you have to use kalkwasser it is easy to do but requires constant testing.If done correctly you can use it as a top off also. Gravity dousing kalkwasser works well but you first need to find out what your daily evaporation is then make a drip bucket that will hold several days worth of top off. once you get the top off drip right add either pickle lime or kalkwasser made for purchase .Cr and bulk reef have calculators that will give you a good idea what to start with then adjust the amount to achieve the Alk level your shooting for.Simple enough!! Good luck

Rpalt1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    rich

thks all binford i have my nitrates down to 10ppm. my first priority is ro/di for sure. The only reason for this post is future education thks I only have a couple of frags now waiting for my water issues to stabilize before adding more. Although i do have a ducan frag that was one head and now is sprouting 4 more. That being said i have to assume water isnt to bad. my shopping list for now is ro/di, and a red sea pro kit ca/mg/dkh before anything
    Likes MizTanks liked this post