[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Keeping up salinity?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Keeping up salinity?

It is soooo dry in my trailer (snap crackle pop) and I'm getting quit a bit of evaporation, therefore doubling my top offs. What is the best way to keep my salinity up between water changes?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Check it before you add the water.

burningbeard - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I check mine before I add top off water. I was told water will evaporate but the salt doesnt. So that being said when I do check I have found my salinity to be a little higher before I add to compensate for the evaporation. This by no means has any scientific proof and I am curious if any one else has noticed this. I does work in my situation.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Only water evaporates. The salt stays consistent. That's why your salinty rises. I would just do a few top offs a week pr add a few more to your maintenance schedule.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Don't worry about it Miz if your topping off to the same water level you started with then your top off will bring the salinity back down to where it is supposed to be. If you add saltwater for topoff then you will see the salinity go up. Right now my 180 is going through about 4g of top off per day.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

My concern is low salinity. On my refractor the #'s on the right (salinity right) read -30 where's the #'s on the left (SG right) read 1.025 so I am understanding this as my salinity being low. Another reason I made a thread asking how to read a refractor meter am I reading it wrong?? Lol

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sometimes they lose calibration! How are the corals looking?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Sometimes they lose calibration! How are the corals looking?
    My corals are wonderful! After 2yrs of using the dang thing I was wanting to know how to actually read the refractor~lmao!

The refractometer should read the same on both sides. The right and left are just 2 different scales. Parts per thousand and specific gravity. Refractometers need to be calibrated regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    My corals are wonderful! After 2yrs of using the dang thing I was wanting to know how to actually read the refractor~lmao!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    The refractometer should read the same on both sides. The right and left are just 2 different scales. Parts per thousand and specific gravity. Refractometers need to be calibrated regularly.
    I just hate to order 1 lil bottle of calibration fluid online-shipping cost more then the bottle. Can I not just use distilled? Instructions say to use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last