[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Keeping up salinity?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Yes you should calibrate but 1.025 is just about perfect. I guess you could tweak to 1:026 but I sure wouldn't freak about 1.024. But yes calibrate. Remember if the critters are upset it will show, via your eyeballs. If you test something and it doesn't seem right, retest, then do it again, then do it with another kit. A healthy looking tank might benefit from a tweak but rarely is it necessary to make a radical change to a tank that looks right. Now if the tank looks like poop (and yours does not) then you need to react but in your case just tweak the edges.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Miz you know what is the most important thing not wether your S.G. is 1.024 or 1.026 or 1.023.... but that is stays super consistent. I noticed that with my hex two times a day to top off worked better at keeping that consistency then only once. Now it doesn't swing much at all with the big tank but for nanos you have to watch it more closely. and like the others said if the corals look happy then your SG is where it needs to be Hope that helps some...Good luck!

Heidi

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

To minimize evaporation, you can cover your tank with a solid cover (but you will lose light intensity) or use a humidifier in your home. The best way to deal with evaporation and assure consistency is an automatic top off. The Tunze Osmolator is the best one IMO. Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer to check your salinity?

As for calibrating a refractometer, you want to use a calibration fluid of a known salinity close to the range you are measuring in. Since distilled water will be close to zero it isn't appropriate. In the past @BeakerBob has had calibration fluid that he made available at swaps, etc. You might try to contact him.

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Miz, I use CoralVue 12V Electronic Top-off Float Switch (http://coralvue.com/electronic-float-switch/ ) for my ATO and my salinity stays almost perfect. It comes with everything you need besides the fresh water container (I just use a 5 gal bucket) and it's was only about $50.
    Last edited by Badfish; 11-21-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2