[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lowering Kh

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Question Lowering Kh

Cal=460
    Ph=8.2
    No2=.0
    N03=.05
    sg=1.026
    Kh=11

The Kh is on the higher end. Why for? Should I lower it or wait for it to balance it's self out?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Cal=460
    Ph=8.2
    No2=.0
    N03=.05
    sg=1.026
    Kh=11

The Kh is on the higher end. Why for? Should I lower it or wait for it to balance it's self out?
    wait for it to settle down some, water changes weekly help lower it because when you do the change you remove some hardness in the water when adding fresh mixed salt with RO/DI just be sure to monitor it. try to get 2 samples, one before a water change and one about 3 hours after and test them and see what the results are. if you took your current reading and you need to do a water change soon that could be why it is slightly high.

just keep a close eye on it for a few weeks and make sure it doesn't get any higher.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Ok my alkalinity is way to high~tested last night and it's reading 14~how do I lower it? Should I do so by gradually lowering my calcium, which is at 460?

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Jamie,

How are you testing and have you changed anything recently (i.e. are you dosing anything?) If not, I'd be suspect of your test kit. If your livestock appears fine, I'd recommend verifying your test results before chasing what could be an erroneous measurement. Assuming you don't think it's a result of your water supply - you can always increase water changes while waiting to confirm your test results.

Perhaps a LFS or local reefer can get your a comparison?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Jamie, I was wrong.
    Last edited by Heidi; 03-31-2011 at 09:41 AM.

13dkh is very high. Natural seawater is 6.5-7dkh.

Jamie, Are you using tap water or RO? If you are using tap that is why it is high. If you are using RO then what kind of salt are you using? Are you dosing 2 part? Depending on the salt you are using water changes may not lower your alk. If you are not dosing then the excess carbonate will be consumed by coraline and corals. In your young tank this may take a while. I would also suggest a quality test kit. Lamotte is the only kit on the market that I would trust with my coral collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Jamie, (correct me if I'm wrong people) But 13 isn't really that high for dkh. When I mix new water with reef crystals I think it is right around there. But if you are concerned about it I am pretty sure the only way to lower KH is to do a crap load of water changes. I would just watch it maybe get a new test kit too. But really, I don't think 13dkh is high. When your ca. is 460 and you ph is 8.2 11 or even 13 dkh is ok.
    Hope you get it figured out,
    Heidi

Oh. . . 1 more thing, are you dosing Cal or 2 part or anything like that? If so stop, do a water change and I bet your numbers will be fine.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    13dkh is very high. Natural seawater is 6.5-7dkh.
    So I am sorry for my gross mistake. Schminksbro is 100% right. When I grabbed
    my little API test book I looked at the first entry. But it was the book for the hex I started in November. The new tanks KH was higher (10-11) at first but has since been right about 7ish. My hex tank got as high as 15dkh (the 35g) when I first started it over time it worked its way down to right about 7. I wonder if it is just the newness factor.
    Thanks again for catching that hate to pass on bad/incorrect info.
    -Heidi

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Yup I'm using RO water. Yup 14 is very high, this much I know I did dose ATI Buffer Max to raise my Ph which is running at 7.8~Cal tested at 460 and I'm using Reef Crystals. Other then the Buffer Max I've changed nothing. I've never dosed my tanks, have always depended on my salt and good filtration to maintain them.

My fish and corals are all doing great!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Don't be surprised about the high alk levels.It is true that your new tank does not have the bio load to consume alk as quickly. I have noticed a huge change in alk levels in the past six months from RC,IO and red sea.I even started a thread on this issue.I have found alk levels as high as 18 dkh with RC and I use RO with less then 3 ppm TDS. Switching to another salt might be your best solution.I would suggest as others have to verify your reading with your LFS and test your freshly mixed salt befor useing it.Good luck,if you decied to change salts I would recomend britewell's salt.It's what I used to correct this same issue.If memory serves me Beaker Bob suggested to someone on another thread to doase calc to bring it down.Please don't quote me tho,might want to pm him.