[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

lowering your PH

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    GR808 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default lowering your PH

I need to lower my PH just a tad, just tested and is running about 8.4-8.5. Any tips on lowering it?

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

I think you can add some vinegar to get it down. I read it a while ago and I am not 100% sure but if you google it you should find some information on it.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

High pH is a fairly uncommon problem in reefs in my experience. I would verify your test method a couple different ways before going nuts with adding anything to lower it. pH varies over the course of the day and if you top out at 8.4-8.5, I think you are just fine.

If you finally decide it needs to be lowered, although you can use vinegar, carbonated water would be a better bet. That way you are not adding a separate carbon source that could be a source for problems in a couple weeks.

I will re-test the PH and it was about 10 in the morning I tested. I'm scheduled for a 15% water change and I will test again after. My Alk is about 7 dkh and with the PH on the higher end, will that cause any problems? Can I adjust both in one method?

Default lowering ph

anyone got tips on lowering your PH?

Bluering - Reefkeeper CR Member

Vinegar or lemon juice is a quick fix, or you'll have to buy a PH reducing product from the LFS.

But a more true method of stabilizing PH is water changes.

any type of vinegar?
    just tested the ph at 8.5-8.6..
    I don't know why it got so high?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default lowering ph

Actually those readings are not so high-not to worry about anyways-considering most keep it around 8.4 Has it always tested 8.5-8.6 or is this something new?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

It has normally been about 8.1-8.2 but it has tested this high for a little over a week. After the first test a little over a week ago, I did a 15-20% water change. Very little kalk was adding during that period as well. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    Maybe it's my test kit. I am using a Red Sea test kit for the PH and Alk.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Sorry I didn't notice your reply back before now... I think 10 is an erroneous result. Unless you're adding something to raise pH, I can't see it ever getting that high on it's own. Not to mention I would guess that many creatures would start to perish with a pH that high.

Before you do any adjusting, you need to get another test from a different kit or method.

(BTW - I merged your new thread with this older thread and moved it to beakerbob's chemistry forum.)
    Last edited by jimsflies; 06-14-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last