[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

MB7 and Probiotic Reefing

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last

Default MB7 and Probiotic Reefing

Some history on the system first....Tank is about a year old, but more like three. It started as a 55, than I down sized to a 20 long for a move. As soon as I was done w/ the move I bought a 40B and that's as it is now. I have most the same sand and LR adding some here and there. Since I moved my hippo to a bigger home I have had all sorts of algae, so here it is.
    001 20 - MB7 and Probiotic Reefing

And some up close of the recent algae problems
    004 17 - MB7 and Probiotic Reefing
    005 13 - MB7 and Probiotic Reefing

I started using the MB7 6 days ago at half the recommended dose for my water volume. I have also been dosing BRS 2 part alk and am keeping track of that. 8.2 at the moment, which is higher than I have been able to keep it lately.
    My nitrates have gone up, which I suspect is because the nitrates are being freed up by manual removal and dosing the MB7. Phosphates are the same zero.

A couple questions....

First if we are dosing bacteria to and it needs to consume carbon to consume phosphates & nitrates, than on an established system why are people waiting 2 weeks to dose the vodka (the carbon source)?

Second how do I raise the PH, because it is at a low of 7.6?

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by TanksEveryWhere View Post

First if we are dosing bacteria to and it needs to consume carbon to consume phosphates & nitrates, than on an established system why are people waiting 2 weeks to dose the vodka (the carbon source)?

Second how do I raise the PH, because it is at a low of 7.6?
    There are plenty of sources of carbon currently in your tank for the MB7 (bacteria) to use. You need to get the population of bacteria up tot he point that your system can handle a much more efficiant carbon source such as Vodka, vinger, sugar, bio-fuel, ect. If you dont get the added bacteria (MB7) up to enough of a population, bad bacterias can outcompete and cause cyno blooms and other nasty stuff.

I maintain PH by topping off w/ Kalkwasser.

First Name
    Chris

I am no pro at ID'ing algea, but-

It wouldnt hurt to monitor your Mag, and keep that up with Kent Tech-M Magnesium. Not only will a stable mag help keeping Alk, Calc and PH right, it could help with some of the algea issues you are experiancing.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Oh- Almost forgot-

That is going to be a really nice tank, once you get it under control!!!
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    I am no pro at ID'ing algea, but-

It wouldnt hurt to monitor your Mag, and keep that up with Kent Tech-M Magnesium. Not only will a stable mag help keeping Alk, Calc and PH right, it could help with some of the algea issues you are experiancing.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Oh- Almost forgot-

That is going to be a really nice tank, once you get it under control!!!
    Thank you, it was really nice and the corals still look good.

I didn't realize there was already a enough carbon in the system at the moment...knowing that the rest makes sense. Did a 10% WC today (part of weekly maintenance), and tested everything, Mag was at 1300. It is usually about there. Alk Issues have been due to an increased sps load.

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Ever thought of getting a turbo snail, or some astrea* snails? I know you still need to be proactive rather than reactive but it cant hurt to have something eat that, ultimately leaving it up to the skimmer to pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post
    Ever thought of getting a turbo snail, or some astrea* snails? I know you still need to be proactive rather than reactive but it cant hurt to have something eat that, ultimately leaving it up to the skimmer to pull it out.
    Hippo tang was doing a much better job than I knew obviously. Thinking sea hare, I have more than enough tanks for it to live happy and weel fed. Not that my tanks are covered in this stuff, but w/ 5 systems I should be good

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

When I started reefing i had a problem with Algae that was worse than that, the hare i used wiped out my 90 gal in 3 days. I would recommend not keeping it long term but that's up to you. they eat such unbelievable amounts.

I think the MB7, manual removal and WC will do ....just need a little patients.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

So today is day 9 using the MB7, and I am pleased so far. The water is defiantly more clear than it was, and my skimmer is just skimming away. The hair algae is growing fast as ever, but I am hopeful that will slow down soon. I'm considering using it to start off the stock tank once that is all ready for water.

First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TanksEveryWhere View Post
    I'm considering using it to start off the stock tank once that is all ready for water.
    Using the water, live rock,or starting a new system on just MB7?

I have changed entire systems with no cycle using parts of the old system. It can be done, if done right, with minimal mini cycle.

The PO4 reduction qualities of the pro-biotic approach happens much later than the carbon cycle part. When it comes to algea, be VERY patient.

Hope someone will chime in on the n03 vs. po4 variables and how they are effected in the pro biotic approaches. I could type my experiances, but they may be far from true and i know there are members on here much more experianced that can lead you better than I can.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last