[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

MB7 and Probiotic Reefing

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    I am no pro at ID'ing algea, but-

It wouldnt hurt to monitor your Mag, and keep that up with Kent Tech-M Magnesium. Not only will a stable mag help keeping Alk, Calc and PH right, it could help with some of the algea issues you are experiancing.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Oh- Almost forgot-

That is going to be a really nice tank, once you get it under control!!!
    I test mag regularly and have read up some on using it too control the algae. Right now it is at 1300 and stays between 1250 and 1300. If I remember right to use it effectively against HA it needs to be about 1600? Could I raise it while dosing the MB7? or would that be too many changes to the system? Can I use BRS 2 part, because I already have that one, although I know that kents mag product has that extra zing too it that makes it the more effective product against the algae. Also I am 5 days from starting the carbon dosing, and while I have thought of raising the mag I am kind of waiting until after I start the carbon. I figure 2 weeks after that change to the system, would be a safe time to start dosing mag. And the algae I am dealing w/ is a combo of HA and Bryopsis.

And this tank was amazing before I move the tang that was eating all this crap. Thanks...I am sure we will get it there again.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Good thinking on trying not to change too many things at once. I would get the MB7 dosing down, then tweek the Mag. The PO4 isnt going to go down right away with the MB7. It can take a few months before you see real results.

Also, on the Mag topic. Not just any type of Mag suppliment will work, and not on all algeas. The Tech-M will work on Bryopsis, and not other algeas.

I am no pro on algea ID, but it looked like some of your algea might have been Bryopsis.

It is hair algae and bryopsis and I might have to give the Kent a go. It would seem I am no longer welcome in my reef, so manual removal is proving to be a B****. My clowns who have always welcomed me are now on the attack, and will be evicted to the stock tank as soon as it is up and cycled. They have gotten bad since they laid that first clutch, and are skilled at finding the softest flesh to tear into.

Today we start the carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    What kind of skimmer are you running?
    Some no name 1, it's rated for 150 system. Works great on the 40B and produces great.

ok...........
    I'll contact the person I got it from and see if they can give me a company at least.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by TanksEveryWhere View Post
    I'll contact the person I got it from and see if they can give me a company at least.
    Post a pic of it, maybe someone will recognize it.
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

So Aquamaxx makes the pump, not sure if they also make the skimmer the pump came w/.

Yeah you should be ok with that skimmer for a 40g. Make sure the venturi stays unclogged and as a good air pull, as oxygen is very important when carbon dosing. I don't remember which carbon source did you decide to go with?
    Vodka which I've used before so I am comfortable with it, but I was thinking about changing the carbon source every now and than. I don't think for a second that I can switch them regularly, but I was curious if changing the carbon source every now and than would give better results. Say ever 4- 6 months? And how would one go about making that a smooth transition?

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last