[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My Ph - dkh, and calcium. Brain Coral hates me

Bookmark and Share
    michaellong - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    michael

Default My Ph - dkh, and calcium. Brain Coral hates me

I have been watching my brain lately, and instead of being wide open , it is rather closed. Just doesn't look as good as usual. I do notice however the brain goes through stages of opening and closing. So is this normal. I am often told that in the community reef the dkh of 12 is the target. My ph is 8.4, dkh at 14, and the calcium is at 460. I use a calcium reactor and co2 with a controller. So what I want to know is why I hear people say they are trying to get their dkh between 12 and 14. Then I'm told from a few that maybe your dkh is high. Isn't 14 a desired point for corals? I notice my ph is always fluctuating and I don't worry. It changes day and night slightly. Can anyone tell me if their brain acts like the one I have. I will give the photo I have of my brain on a good day, and then imagine what a brain at night looks like. I will post a picture of how it looks all the time now in a while. I am not too concerned because all the corals in the tank are lovin the reef. But. . . . the brain is the one coral I wasnt to meet the demands for. Planning to start my waterfall tank so perhaps that introduction of another 151Gallons will give him a jump start. After water changes I usually see every coral respond. Magnesium is good level, I dose per test result weekly.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

First Name
    michael

This is on a good day. I have to wait till main lights are on to get a snap of what it looks like now. Looks like its sleeping

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

IMO i think a dKH of 14 is high, i keep mine around 8-9 which all my coral seem to like.
    Im starting to think with the coral issues you've been having that something is wrong with your water.

Do you use RO water?

First Name
    michael

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    IMO i think a dKH of 14 is high, i keep mine around 8-9 which all my coral seem to like.
    Im starting to think with the coral issues you've been having that something is wrong with your water.

Do you use RO water?
    I use RO-DI water and do water 20% every 2 weeks. However I did just change media in my calcium reactor. I started to use reborn, but started using ARM. Too fine for me. the tank clouds up easily. If I shut off power (which happens a lot here) One second shut offs periodically, the tank doesn't shut down, but just gets a little retart jolt, then clouds up in the reactor and the tank gets cloudy. Likely will switch back to course media I think. But I do not know what that has to do with dkh. I do know when I do a large 20% water change my dkh seems to settle at 9 or 10. Do you think my reactor might be where to look at more?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I agree that 14 is too high. May want to verify your Magnesium levels.

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

14 is definately too high I shoot for 9 and as Jim said I would check your mag it plays a role in your alk level.

First Name
    michael

Thanks peoples. I didn't know that magnesium plays a role. So let me ask you this, should I let my reactor run wide open and shut off CO2 until it levels out. How do I bring the DKH down or control it. It seems that every time I run the reactor my DKH skyrises. I decrease bubbles and change the centervalue higher to get less burn. By calcium is at 460 - the Ph is 8.4, but DKH is rising. The only way I get it back down is a huge water change. I am doing something wrong here. If I can correct that I will have accomplished atleast something this year in regard to actually keeping the hard corals. They look great like I said - when I change major water. I'll check that magnesium now. Thanks though. You are all helpful

First Name
    michael

Well I am about to punch my water in the face I just checked , Ph 8.4 , dkh 14 - Calcium 460ppm, and magnesium is at 900. My bottle says keep at 1270! So can you tell me what the relatinship with dkh and magnesium is? I will start the addition of magnesium tonight. I have the 3 stage system starting likely on Monday, so I am sure all parameters will be adjusted, but I want to be on top of things so I know exactly what to do. What I am most confused on is the operation of my calcium reactor. I understand its center value and what it does, but can one control ph in the tank and dkh? In other words, can the calcium reactor affect the dkh due to the introduction of Co2? I am always finding my self with the question of bubble rate. Does that do anything other than burn time. My reactor is drilled on the bottom with a LED that turns on when the pinpoint reactor kicks it on so I can see the center tube illuminate. So it is constantly kicking on for a burn. I did that so I could see if it was ever stuck on, but it has been operating fine. I calibrate it every 2 weeks, and it was just recently done a week ago. So I take it the addition of the magnesium may solve my problem, or do I need to see a therapist - cuz its 3:17am.
    Last edited by michaellong; 04-03-2011 at 01:27 PM.

First Name
    michael

I shut my reactor down. It was just pushing too much. My dkh was high, so I am changing the center value on the reactor a little higher so I don't melt as much aragonite. My calcium was climbing as well. Instead of 420 it was at 440, then 460 and climbing. So perhaps a few more days and it will level off. Starting the waterfall tomorrow night will likely change the parameters so it will be a good time to restart the reactor. I'll wait a few days. However - I do have the reactor running , just no CO2.