[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Need Some Calcium Reactor Advice

Bookmark and Share
    ScottCRRT - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Scott

Default Need Some Calcium Reactor Advice

My buddy has an extra Calcium reactor set-up laying around, and I am going to give it a shot. Not sure how many out there are actually using one. I know it's a dual stage reactor, and i'm wondering what types of media people are using (ie: ARM, Gen-X, BA CoraLazarus, etc.) I have seen some people using 2 diferent brands in each reactor, and some just using different grain size of ARM. I am wondering if using 2 different products would be possible due to different pH ranges to dissolve the media. Any help is appreciated.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I used a mix of the LARGE Arm, and a gravel product by SeaChem called "Gray Coast" in mine. The gray coast is actually a calcite, rather then aragonite, and it has a crap ton of Magnesium in it. (I had some VERY large caps, and though I do not have statistical evidence to back it up, I swear the caps drink the Mg as fast as the Ca.)

As for the pH range, I set my effluent pH by the alk, not what the manufacturer said. Usually an effluent pH of double where you want to be is a good place to start. Since my tank has so many growing colonies, I was a 4X.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Oh, and I bet there are more SPS keepers that use them, then those that don't.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I use Aqua Medic Hydrocarbanat medium or large size in my reactor.

For some good tips on how to set up a reactor visit Geo's Reef and look in the reactor section for his instructions, it applies to any reactor really. Good stuff.

ScottCRRT - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Scott

Thank you both for the info. I am considering ARM Extra-Coarse in one reactor and Gen-X in the other, just not sure on it though. Very informative link also. Keep any other ideas and info coming. i appreciate it.