[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

nitrates

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    keeplearning - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default nitrates

Just got a master test kit. Some good news aome bad news. Calcium is way low 120ppm. Ph is good. 8.3. Nitrite is 0. dKh is 7. Phosphate is 0. Nitrates are off the chart. Any suggestions on how to fix. I doo once to twice weekly water changes about ten gallons atva time. Tank is 80 gallons.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

What master kit are you using? What is your sg?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Api test kit, not expired. Sg is a little low right now, 1.023.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I would first suspect that your possibly reading/ doing the test wrong. Bad test kit maybe. When you make new water have you tested that? If not do so for comparison. Then post the results please I would also raise your sg to 1.025 at least.

CR Member
    First Name
    tony

well i had real bad nitrate and phosphate problem... and itwas my fresh water i was using to top off and mix with (tap) and i didnt realize till too late green hair all over...switched to ro water and now is looking better..just saying that they might be from water source as well.

I tested my mix can for nitrates to infer tapwater cleanliness. New water is salt and tapwater. I mixed a batch about a week ago and tested it tonight. It tested perfect, not a trace of nitrate. Are there any products that fairly rapidly abaorb nitrate? I used carbon and change it regularly (not all at once). The substrate is crushed coral, i just started a thread on substrate choices becauae i think this might be playing a large factor in nitrate retention. I have about 50 lbs of live rock in the tank.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Wasn't the topic of this post about your low calcium?

I know calcium is dangerously low. We slacked of for quite a while and are now in recovery. Really trying to get rid of the nitrates. I have an 8-10 inch squamosa that is a calcium hog. Have been adding calcify by seachem for last couple weeks, a little at a time. Might try doubling the dose from an inner cap or two with water changes twice a week to three or four. I will continue to test after upcoming water changes. Planning on checking another setup i have with a dsb to see what nitrate and calcium levels are, also plan on chexking new saltwater for calcium levels in the morning as well.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

How long has the tank been up, inhabitants and feeding habits?

If the tank has been up for a while with a med or higher bioload, I'd look to your substrate a potential source of your high nitrates.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I used to get high nitrates and very low calcium back when I had poor filtration, lack of maintanance and a less than desirable initial set up.

Nitrates would climb higher and higher and calcium would drop lower and lower, and I would do nothing to fix either issue. No water changes, didnt clean my biological filtration, didnt maintain my substrate, didnt test or dose, ect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last