[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Odd Nitrite issue

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default Odd Nitrite issue

Still having some issues with regard to my tank. Doing regular water changes ( taking a few gallons out and replacing 2 times a week), checking levels regularly. Heres the newest issue. Did 20% water change yesterday. Checked water source for Nitrite, Nitrate,and Amonia first. All at 0. or very close to that, added salt to water (instant ocean) specific gravity 1.024 ---perfect. All should be good. NOT..... Water with instant ocean salt now has Nitrite at .25 before putting into tank. Slight increase in amonia this a.m but still very low. I dont get it. I thought that this was supposed to reduce build ups not increase levels. Additional info. Moved rocks, cleaned under them cleaned substrate to remove debri (didnt find much there) checked filter and made sure no blockages (has great flow) my inverts seem to be fine moving around. I get it that i disturbed the tank so I expected that there would be a change. The Nitrite increase with the salt is my concern. No body is behaving abnormallly. have reduced feeding to minimum and I am removing any food I find. Any more suggestions? Tank not overstocked One Clown and scooter Blenny plus cleaning crew of snails,hermits,and 1 emerald crab.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

If you get a chance, please start a Member Tank thread. That often helps us know what all you are doing so we don't have to ask.

But a few questions that come to mind are:

what is your source water, are you using RO/DI water?
    If so, how old are the Carbon and RO filters?
    what test kits are you using?
    how long has your tank been setup?
    what type of substrate are you using?

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldtanr12 View Post
    Still having some issues with regard to my tank. Doing regular water changes ( taking a few gallons out and replacing 2 times a week), checking levels regularly. Heres the newest issue. Did 20% water change yesterday. Checked water source for Nitrite, Nitrate,and Amonia first. All at 0. or very close to that, added salt to water (instant ocean) specific gravity 1.024 ---perfect. All should be good. NOT..... Water with instant ocean salt now has Nitrite at .25 before putting into tank. Slight increase in amonia this a.m but still very low. I dont get it. I thought that this was supposed to reduce build ups not increase levels. Additional info. Moved rocks, cleaned under them cleaned substrate to remove debri (didnt find much there) checked filter and made sure no blockages (has great flow) my inverts seem to be fine moving around. I get it that i disturbed the tank so I expected that there would be a change. The Nitrite increase with the salt is my concern. No body is behaving abnormallly. have reduced feeding to minimum and I am removing any food I find. Any more suggestions? Tank not overstocked One Clown and scooter Blenny plus cleaning crew of snails,hermits,and 1 emerald crab.
    Tank has been set up for about three months. Is FOWLER at this point but eventually will be corals if I can every get it right. As for the water it is filtered well water. I checed it prior to putting in tank to be sure pure. Filter sponges were removed and rinsed in tank water prior to being replaced in filter. Filter is made up as follows: 10 gallon glass sump gravity feed from tank to these : layers top to bottom first compartment: sponges--carbon--bio balls, second compartment: bio balls, third and final compartment skimmer, UV sterilizer, return pump. substrate in tank live sand tank is thirty gallon have about 20 pounds live rock

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Well water is filtered with RO?

I would also recommend checking nitrites with another test kit or take it to an LFS for confirmation.

Nitrites in your source water obviously has nothing to do with this....however, most of us keeping reefs, tend to stay away from sponges and bioballs or if we do have sponges they need to be rinsed religiously. The main reason for this is that detritus accumulates on these media and then breaks down. Sponges and bioballs do a great job of converting ammonia to nitrates. But you ultimately end up with higher nitrates than without them. If detritus isn't allowed to collect some place, it can be available for cleanup crew to consume which prevents it from adding directly to the nutrient load.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldtanr12 View Post
    Tank has been set up for about three months. Is FOWLER at this point but eventually will be corals if I can every get it right. As for the water it is filtered well water. I checed it prior to putting in tank to be sure pure. Filter sponges were removed and rinsed in tank water prior to being replaced in filter. Filter is made up as follows: 10 gallon glass sump gravity feed from tank to these : layers top to bottom first compartment: sponges--carbon--bio balls, second compartment: bio balls, third and final compartment skimmer, UV sterilizer, return pump. substrate in tank live sand tank is thirty gallon have about 20 pounds live rock
    Not sure R/O?? Water filter to eliminate iron,etc. for drinking purposes. not sure what it is made up of.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Guess we need to figure out what water treatment your source water is getting. Here is a pic of an RO/DI:

next gen tiii front - Odd Nitrite issue

Many houses on wells also use a water softener (in which you add salt) to treat water for hardness, and to a certain extent iron.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Guess we need to figure out what water treatment your source water is getting. Here is a pic of an RO/DI:

next gen tiii front - Odd Nitrite issue

Many houses on wells also use a water softener (in which you add salt) to treat water for hardness, and to a certain extent iron.
    OK I'll check tonight. thanks for your thoughts

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree with Jim, if your not using ro/di water you should be. You will find a few people that don't feel you need ro/di, but precious few, you DO need to use ro/di water if you want to have a reasonably trouble free reef tank, just consider it a given.

Personally I feel you have way too much crap in your sump. Ditch the sponges and bio-balls, all of that stuff just makes it harder to clean and causes more issues than it solves. Carbon is fine but you don't NEED it, run a small amount of carbon and change regularly. Great info on carbon and gfo can be had at bulkreefsupply. It's very worth reading.

If you ever have test results that just look funky, double check against another test kit. Test kits are not as reliable as we would all like. Above all move slow right now, your close to having things ironed out so bide thine time and make sensible decisions.

MonsterTankMan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Richard

R/o di water is deffently a must...as you might want to 10 more pounds of live rock. As far as the sump I'd scrap the sponges and Bio balls and do some kind of algae scrubber like chaetos ..just my 2 cents.

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

just my two cents.....when i started this expedition....one of the first things i bought was a giant hairy mushroom...lol i personally believe he keeps my nitrites all under control.....i have 8 fish in a 28 gallon nanocube i slightly overfeed mysis so my mandarin gets some....my two crabs and 3 shrimp and snails clean up the rest.... i havent had a nitrite issue....i think its because of my filter feeders and crew. i personally wont start another tank without a large filter feeder....he helps bigtime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last