[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Phosban Reactors

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

Default Phosban Reactors

Not sure if this is the right spot for this..but there has been some questions in the chat about them and Rob suggested someone start a thread so we dont lose any of the convo..I will start with the first question.

will phosban reactor lower your phosphates and how will it interfer with your skimmer or will it interfer????

Rick

CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger61 View Post
    Rick
    driving me crazy... I keep thinking your asking me a question like,

"Rick...?"

Well, the reason this question came up is that I have had issues with brown on the ground.

09 12 19 120g leftsidetank - Phosban Reactors

Flow is where I want it to be so I am guessing the culprit is elsewhere. I have a phosban reactor running with some phostphate remover and carbon right now, full flow at 90gph.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Fire your name is Rick as well?

First off I do not believe running a reactor for phosphates will effect any skimmer performance, but I am not certain.

Fire, how old or how long has the tank been set up? Could be just new tank syndrome with the diatoms and cyno. Not sure if running an pban would help that issue. For me when I was battling it, I won by water changes, regular stirring of the bed and adding lost of nassy snails.

I've also read that although we strive to eliminate phosphates from our system, it can be detrimental to coral growth as some phosphates are necassary for color and growth. I've seen some of the most successful tanks who only run GFO total of 7 days a month. And usually just after a water change for 12-24 hours.

Something I am deffinetely researching right now as I hope to maintain the phosphates in my tank so it does not become a major issue down the road with algae and leaching from rocks and sand.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    Fire your name is Rick as well?

Fire, how old or how long has the tank been set up? Could be just new tank syndrome with the diatoms and cyno. Not sure if running an pban would help that issue. For me when I was battling it, I won by water changes, regular stirring of the bed and adding lost of nassy snails.

I've also read that although we strive to eliminate phosphates from our system, it can be detrimental to coral growth as some phosphates are necassary for color and growth. I've seen some of the most successful tanks who only run GFO total of 7 days a month. And usually just after a water change for 12-24 hours.

Something I am deffinetely researching right now as I hope to maintain the phosphates in my tank so it does not become a major issue down the road with algae and leaching from rocks and sand.

Yarp, its my, to the right of the middle name, First name is fire, middle, bretha.

I also tend to go by bender bending rodriguez. JK, I introduce my self to folks I meet offline from online as "fire" you utilize your username so much it becomes your identity. Well... Kind of identity... I am actually much weirder in person.

Tank is around 9+ months seeded from another tank so its past NTS. I need to add like 1 star to start sifting better and slowly, but I think by increasing my bed depth I can maintain better consistancy with good bacteria. I think the fish stir the bed too much when they throw it around (dumb clowns and damsel).

I wasnt sure if Pban would help either but still nice to test out! interesting concept on the 7 day run time on phosban...
    If you reduce your phosphate level by "50%" by a water change and then attempt to decrease your phosphate level by another "40%" via phosban wouldnt that be a detremental shock to your system?
    I prefer a consistency rather than shocking the tank. I believe in larger "ranges" over consistency except in this case where you are dealing with nutrients in the tank.

I wonder what the phosphate level of the ocean is? in what areas, etc...

Fishgeek88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

I utilize GFO in all my tanks. A reactor should not affect skimmer performance. I would start with half the recommended dosage of GFO because it will affect nutrient levels and can discolor some corals(finer sps). You will notice that diatom disappear pretty quick

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I used to run silicate media on my 55 when the diatoms exploded at the 1 year mark. That worked.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Fishgeek88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    I used to run silicate media on my 55 when the diatoms exploded at the 1 year mark. That worked.
    yea silicate media like cuprisorb works great for diatoms

Cash - Reefkeeper CR Member

Definitely watching this thread as I am having the brown/black on the sand bed recently. The tank has been up and running for a year now. I am playing with the flow to remove any dead spots and running a Phos filter pad in my mech. filter box.

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

let me rephrase my question because i got it backwards..will the skimmer neutralize the phosban..

Rick

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

^Nope- they will work together to get your nutrients down lower than either of the 2 alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last