[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Testing Kits

Bookmark and Share
    harmanrk - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Testing Kits

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#I am looking to order a light fixture soon, and after it arrives, I want to start collecting some corals for my tank. When I order the light, I plan to also get a Calcium test kit, and an Iodine test kit. I know that the Iodine, and Calcium are to elements that the Inverts, and Corals will consume out of the water, and may require supplements. Are there any other test kits I should consider adding to my shopping list? I already have a kit for PH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Also are the kits by Seachem good quality? #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Robert#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Add an Alkalinty test kit to your pile. Alk is the balancing factor for calcium, easy way to look at it is that is what keeps the calcium suspended in the water column, too low and calcium will precipitate from the water (it will litterally look like a snowstorm).

SeaChem seems to be the middle of the road for test kits. they are pretty accurate, though some are not the easiet as they require multiple steps to perform. But they are moderately priced.

If you are not using your own RO/DI water (and maybe if you are) Phosphates and Silcates could be another kit later down the road that may or may not be of some use for you. I believe SeaChem has multi test kits that include these with Iodine/Iodide. These fall into the 'nice to have', and generally only used if you think you may have a problem or starting out if you want to be sure of your water quality as you build your reef.

Any additive you consider dosing your tank with, be sure you can test for it before and after.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.