[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Please advise.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Please advise.

I know I've covered this issue before with my tank but please be patient with me as the reefing gods aren't finished with me yet

Since I started doing regular wc 1x bi-weekly at 5 1/2g per, and am keeping no sps but a few lps and a clam I found I wasn't needing to dose 2part so I stopped. I haven't actually dosed in over a month.

On these days I did a 5 1/2g wc as my CC was in trouble. All with an sg of 1.026
    3/9/13
    3/20/13
    3/28/13
    4/8/13
    4/17/13

Today I tested the majors and got some pretty funky readings
    CA=480+ (New Test Kit) a
    ALK=5.9 (New Test Kit)
    Mag=1200 (2yr old Kit)
    PH=7.8 (New API Kit)
    Temp=79

As usual I have a horrible time understanding and or applying the chemistry aspect of SW keeping. How to find and keep the balance is a total mystery to me as it seems anything can and will throw it out of wack. But I can't figure out what is doing the throwing! I had hoped that by upping my WC I could keep things pretty much balanced but as you can see this is not the case. I don't know what's causing the imbalance. Mind you ALL my corals and clam look great. Aside from my zoas everything grows very well.

Could my new skimmer be causing these strange numbers? If I raise my MAG via dosing will this too raise my ALK? See I don't understand the correlation between any of them? I'd like to though if someone can explain it to me in the simplest way.

I do remember when I first started dose I was using ESV 2part. I never had an issue with keeping things balanced. But since switch to BRS 2part I just can't get the numbers to where I want them or where they should be.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Keith
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I would start with bringing your Mg up slightly. I have found that with a low mg level, alk and ca will fluctuate randomly. I would try to bring that up to around 1300, and you should start seeing a correlation between consumption of your 2-part.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks BC Having used CR's reef calculator and using ESV Mag I've started dosing. Will increase my mag 150ppm over the next 2 days....I've started by adding 8oz today and tomorrow will add 5oz. Then I'll retest and see what's what.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

First off, don't be embarrassed. I've been reefing for nearly 20 years and still have Ca/alk balance issues.

What's funny is I was also recently trying to reduce dosing by upping the water changes, but I have found it to ineffective for my tank. So, I'm switching back to daily dosing.

Here the plan I'm currently implementing to determine the correct dosing regime. (I just started last night)

1) Tested to get current parameter numbers. My numbers were horrible! 530 Ca and 5 KH, Salifert and TropicMarin, respectively.
    2) Using the above test results and the chemistry calculators here in CR I determined how much product I needed to add. It was more than I wanted do at once so I will be repeating steps 1 and 2 in a few minutes.
    3) Once I have the numbers where I want them I will test again in 24 hours to determine how much is being consumed over that period of time.
    4) Again Using the CR calculators I'll determine how much product I need to add to keep up with demand. Those amounts will be my daily dosing.
    5) I will verify that the dosing is on track once or twice a month by testing both Ca and KH (alkalinity).

One thing I've noticed over the years is that Ca and Alk are not consumed in a 1:1 ratio. I ALWAYS have to dose more alk. So, if you've been doing a 1:1 ratio with the two part I'm not surprised to see the Ca way up and the alk down.

HTH,
    Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

See Tom, that's just it. I haven't been dosing anything for over a month now. The high CA has me totally stumped. The low ALK I sort of understand. I went ahead and dosed ALK too
    Last edited by MizTanks; 04-27-2013 at 12:52 PM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I agree with Tom on the need to to be constant with testing. Haveing you mag in correct parameters is important for your doaseing to work correctly,magnesium will keep the two diffrent types of calcium from bonding together and in turn make it much easier for your corals to consume it and it will also keep it from calcifying in your pumps. I keep my mag at 1600 just for some added info. Soda ash or the alk part of the 2 part doaseing is in my experience always consumed in greater volume. Allot of reefers reefer to alk as being a trace element when it really is a scale of the acidic level of the water column same as Ph is a scale of the buffering ability of your water. Two part doaseing is actually 2 diffrent types of calcium additives . Soda ash is in laymen terms a calcium adative that helps control and maintain the acidic level while also adding some calcium. Calcium chloride the other half that directly increases and maintains calcium. You do not have sps but do have corals that use calcium such as candy canes,all the corals we have in our tanks consume some amount of calcium that will effect your alk or acidic levels. It would require a very large and constant water change plan to maintain your levels with the bio load you have. From the numbers your showing you should be able to use just kalkwasser to get your alk up,your calcium is very high. I maintain mine at 435,reef crystal and instant ocean are known for high calcium levels and it's a good idea to keep it no higher then 450ppm. It won't really hurt the corals you have but if left that high will cause issues with pumps and power heads. Getting your mag up to atleast 1300 ppm first regardless will help you to get your your other levels back on track. Protien skimmers main job is to remove protien wastes and particulate material. They also add much needed oxygen to your water,they do not effect alk or calcium levels from my experience,if this was the case with me running two large skimmers I would have a very hard time keeping anything stable . Good luck.
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-28-2013 at 01:57 AM.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Binford - good info on the salt mixes!

Miz - f you're using either of those salt brands then I'd say that's the culprit for your high levels.

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Default Please advise.

Yup I'm using Reef Crystals. Have been for almost 4yrs. My CA has never been this high before and without dosing anything I couldn't understand why, but now I know. All those recent WC's to save my CC must have bumped it up. Thanks Papa Smurf!!
    I started dosing with ESV MAG tonight and with BRS ALK only.

I'm scared to use Kalkwasser. I think I was told before not to, when I wanted to use it instead of 2 part. Man if I could use that in my ATO I'd love it!

Any recommendation for Kalkwasser?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I don't know why anyone would suggest not to use kalkwasser??? You can use it in your ATO. Ask Viki I believe she is doing this. When I used kalkwasser on the wife's softie tank this is how I did it for years. Very easy way to maintain alk levels. I also used pickle lime instead of buying name brand kalkwasser. I would suggest this method over hand doaseing, Once you get your doase right you will see a big difference in growth and extension Just be careful how fast you bring your Alk up. Large swings are very hard on the corals. Slow and easy is the way to go! As usual lol
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-28-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Default Please advise.

Well I got a $20 gift card for DF&S from the swap and was thinking of using it on Sea Chem Kalkwasser. But I will look for the Pickling Lime today.
    Thanks again Chuck, always the patient one. Very grateful for the time you take to share your knowledge

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last