[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Pro-biotic reefing

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... Last
    Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Pro-biotic reefing

Thought we could get into a discussion on Pro-biotic reefing. In the past we all tried to keep the water pretty sterile. That was what we read and what everyone was doing. Now it seems that Pro-biotic reefing (the addition of bacteria and daily carbon dosing) is just as effective as using Ozone, UV, Ect.

I am currently using the Brightwell system (I use the NeoMarine salt as well) and so far have been pleased. I used the Zeovit system in the past but it was too cost prohibitive on my large tank and really difficult to keep up with the dosing. The BW system is much more affordable and easier to maintain for me.

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

Is there a magic single add to use from them if you want to dose vodka still and not use there whole system. I'm ignorant on this and have never researched there method so be gentle if i'm way off base in my thinking.

Most people use the Microbacter7 and a carbon source. You do not have to use the stones.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

CR Member

I've used ZEOvit, Fauna Marin Ultralith (almost identical to ZEO), a VSV type concoction and Prodibio. I've been most happy with Prodibio as it's cost effective and doesn't require as much dosing as the others, yet IME has been just as effective as the others. Brightwell is newer and I've never tried it, but all in all they're all nearly identical in components.

I will say that the "newer" ZEOvit supplements are much weaker than the original (when they came to US) bacteria and carbon sources. They're more diluted, which = you must use more, which = they make more $ (and you spend more ).

With Prodibio I dose one vial of bacteria every other week after my water change (which I do weekly), and one vial of carbon source every week. No other additions or dosing of anything.

When I ran the denitrator (another form of Pro-biotics) it was so efficent that I had to take it off!!! I could not add enough food to the tank. I kept it in case of emergency though!!! That thing sucks nitrate in.
    anacroporamademepoora

I am dosing MB7, vodka, lugols, and aminos. I am also running the stones. I love the results.

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    I am dosing MB7, vodka, lugols, and aminos. I am also running the stones. I love the results.
    Who's aminos? are they available local?

I think that Zeo and Brightwell make good Amino's. I also think maybe Prodi-bio makes them.
    anacroporamademepoora

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

My question is what happens when you are forced to stop dosing the Probido?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Your system will start to possibly build up nutrients. I have never used that system so I cannot really speak to it. I like the brightwell because I can put it on dosing pumps and not worry when I go on vacations.
    anacroporamademepoora

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... Last