[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

RedSea Pro Test Kit

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default RedSea Pro Test Kit

Got my new test kit today and well lets just say I'm no good with reading the results...it's my first time using this kit so I'm sure I'm off a bit. Anyways I need help reading the measurements on the syringe. Hopefully the pics help a little.
    The syringe if filled to 1.0ml of final solution. Add 0.4 mix well and then add 1 drop while mixing until target color is reached. I just can't read the result numbers right

IMG 1441 - RedSea Pro Test Kit
    IMG 1440 - RedSea Pro Test Kit
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Hahahaha to funny~so far 7 peoples have viewed this thread and 7 kept right on walking~LMAO

Anyways I pretty much figured it out myself~just inverted the syringe so I could read it right So according to this test my Ca is hoovering between 490-500 (no more dosing ca) My KH is 7.3 (gonna stop dosing that too) and my Mag is 1100 (have not dosed for this) Not scarey bad but def need to do a few extra WC to get things back in order. Wonder how long this has been going on? I've only ever used the API. Corals show no ill effects at all
    All in all this test kit is pretty easy to use. No in between colors just your starting point and end point. Although time consuming not that I was going anywhere I do like it. Now I'm wanting to find another kit to compare it to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MizTanks; 11-29-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

So are you gonna get another kit because this is to difficult or just to compare results?

Wondering as I need to buy a kit as getting ready to set up and not sure what to get.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

If that is a mag test, I am seeing a .045 which equals a mag level of 940.

Every so often, when dosing alc/calc, you need to dose mag as it gets low. Mag is the third part of a 2 part solution. It will go down very slow as calk and alk are kept where they should be.

If the alc/calc dosing has been going well for you, looks like you should continue and add mag suppliments when needed.

First Name
    Chris

Sorry....card says titrant used, so that 5.5 which equals 1100 for a mag level.

It is very common for mag to grop, while calc/alk dosing, even with consistant water changes. Looks to me like you just need to add the third part into the mix, when necessary. Mag supplimentatioin is far less often needed than the 2 part. Just keep on top of it, every month or so and you should be fine.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I've got the ESV mag but isn't my ca to high? I'll test again tomorrow but that was a pretty easy read. I almost emptied the syringe of titrant testing it. So it was up there.

Fish Dad---no this test is very easy to use. It was just me for a min there that didn't know how to read upside down lol. This is a new area for me so now I'm even more curious about test kits and how they compare to each other. I can only say its more accurate then the API because I've been using API.

First Name
    Chris

Did ya test your calcium the same day, but after, that you added the mag? I have heard that adding mag can/will effect your calc tests. Calc will be higher than it really is accurately.

What are you adding, as far as alc/calc go? What brand, how offten and how much of each?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I've never dosed mag. I meant that I bought some at the same time I bought the 2 part. Just haven't used it yet cause I couldn't test for it. Won't dose anything I can't test for ya know.

I'm dosing ESV 2 part. 7.5ml daily of each.

reefpoor - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

I have tried so many test kits, and have always had a difficult time reading the color change. I now use the Hanna color meters for CA and ALK. I cant make the argument that Ca 450 is really 450. But there is only one reagent used and the meter reads the results. There is no guess work and you get consistent results. I will never go back