[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Saltwater Test Kits

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Default Saltwater Test Kits

So what do you guys suggest for saltwater test kits? I know Red Sea is basically the oh-heck-no of testing, and I hear API is pretty 'meh'. I hear Salifert is good, but I'm looking for something all-in-one like Red Sea has, where it comes with PO4/NO3/NO2/etc all in one box and I can't seem to find a Salifert one like that.

Thoughts?

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I've just got a bunch of salifert kits.

First Name
    Josh

Yea, I just don't want to pay $20/box and have to buy 7 boxes or whatever... was hoping there's a reliable kit, I know instant ocean has one with 4 tests for $40, but even that brings it down to $10/type.

fawkes - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Kits tend to give you tests you may not use - especially before they expire. If you do fish only, you may not want CA, KH tests and the like. Similarly if you grow only frags, you will likely need other tests. You will probably only need nitrite tests if your tank is cycling. I use Salifert for many of the tests. There is a 5 in 1 test strip by one of the companies - it is good for watching for changes (not so great at precise values).

First Name
    Josh

Yea, I have a reef tank, so I'm looking for one that specifically has PO4/NO3/Si/pH/Alk/Ca/kH or at least a good portion of them. I already use 5 in 1 test strips, but I like having specific reagents on hand to verify the strips accuracy if it looks suspect, I use them probably 2-3 times a week and then actually use the test kits once a week. I (foolishly) bought a kit online and didn't realize it was a Red Sea one until I got it so now I'm looking for alternatives. But like I said, buying individual Salifert ones really jacks the price up quick.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I've had decent results with API. They are relatively inexpensive and very easy. Post cycle I only use the Ca and dKh. Once in a blue moon I'll test for NO3, but never find any. For PO3, the best I've found is the Hanna Colorimeter, nothing else comes close for measuring lower levels (0-2.5ppm.) Salifert for Mg, Refractometer for salinity and Apex for pH and ORP.

CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - July 2012 Tank of the Month

I have all 3. Red sea sucks. I used a couple tests and had it so long it expired. API is not much better. And I have everything salifert now. Get very accurate and consistent results. Sorry, but if you want good tests, its gonna cost ya.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

buy the salifert tests on ebay. make sure it is listed as new as well. i got a phosphate salifert test kit that was new for $15 shipped, if you find a vendor that has them cheaper and you can comebine shipping for all of them it is worth the investment.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by adalius View Post
    So what do you guys suggest for saltwater test kits? I know Red Sea is basically the oh-heck-no of testing, and I hear API is pretty 'meh'. I hear Salifert is good, but I'm looking for something all-in-one like Red Sea has, where it comes with PO4/NO3/NO2/etc all in one box and I can't seem to find a Salifert one like that.

Thoughts?
    Lamotte has one but it is $$$$$$

I use Lamotte for NO3- (well worth the initial investment because the refills are cheap), Hanna meter for PO4, and salifert for ALK, CA, and MG. Hanna meters have come down recently so it is worth saving your change to get one
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lamotte has one but it is $$$$$$

I use Lamotte for NO3- (well worth the initial investment because the refills are cheap), Hanna meter for PO4, and salifert for ALK, CA, and MG. Hanna meters have come down recently so it is worth saving your change to get one
    Hi Mike, any reason why you did not choose Lamotte for alk? I have heard good things about it vs the salifert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last