[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Saltwater Test Kits

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

I like the API, plus alot of LFS use the same ones.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

I've tried the different ones; Salifert, Elos, and API, for the money and consistency API is my favorite. It hasn't failed me yet. Check your LFS when they do a water test, I know quite a few that use it and you'll see there test cards taped near there water workstation.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I've been using API's reef kit for over a year now and have done great by it. 42.00$ I don't use the nitrite/nitrate/ammonia so I sold em on Aquabid and bought me 2 new in the box Cal and a new PH/KH.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

To be honest I've used them all and don't trust any. They all vary very much. ELOS is supposed to be the most consistent and I've received multiple test that have different amounts of reagent fluids and number of tests per box be different. Salifert people swear buy, but for me every single test for calcium or mag reads off the charts no mater what I do to the tank or the test.
    I think the best form is your own observations with your eyes of how the tank inhabitants are reacting. That and its nice to know if your in left or right field with alk to avoid alk burn with a bac driven system.!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

I don't expect to get any test kit that is laboratory grade for a decent price. I'm mainly looking for a test kit to second guess myself. Like right now, I'm using RO/DI, lowered my lighting, still fighting diatoms, but my silica and phos tests are coming back clean. I need another test to be able to judge my eyes against since my eyes tell me there has to be silicates for it to be forming, but the test says there aren't any. And I can't justify driving an hour to the LFS all the time just for a water test.

That said, I think API's reef kit is going to be my best bet since it seems to be reasonably priced without being as far off the mark as Red Sea's.

Frank143 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Salifert for ALK, CAL, and MAG. Hanna digital meter for PO4.

I wouldn't trust any kit other than Lamotte for alk. That is the only parameter I ever test. PO4 kits are useless. I guess Salifert for anything else but once your tank is cycled you need to observe and adjust accordingly. If you have algae you have nutrients. The more algae you have the more nutrients you have. If you make corrections and you still have algae then you still have nutrients. In other words practiced observation is more accurate than most test kits on the market. Most experienced reefers rarely or never test. Innaccurate test results are as dangerous as not testing to start with.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

API for the basic cycle testing and Salifert for everything else. Coming from a water/wastewater treatment background we used almost all Hach and LaMotte in both the field and lab but I'm not that rich at home.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2