[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

stress goin the other way...

Bookmark and Share

Default stress goin the other way...

Well, the other day I had a revelation with DAVENZ. We were talking of trites and trates, and I mentioned that my trates were climbing, cuz I have a can filter right now (not for long) today sometime will enact SUMP. I yanked the innards out of that baby, and my nitrates fell by 50PPM overnight, less than 24 hours. Ammonia is still 0 and nitrites are 0. question is.... damsels this morn wont eat, and the Fiji blue damsel is MIA. They are definately lethargic, and my question to you folks is.... Does any water parameter change stress these little guys out... even if its going to the good side of things ?
    RG (jeremy)

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

they will expiernce a little stress but should quickly over comeit especially when the tank is swinging into a better state. just keep an eye on them and all should be well.
    fulltankshot 1 - stress goin the other way...

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

You might experience a "mini-cycle" after yanking that canister filter.That filter was a main source for biological filtration in your tank.I'd suspect you might be experiencing elevated ammonia,nitrite levels right now while your tanks bacteria are multiplying to fill the void left from your canister filter.You need to make sure you have plenty of current inside your tank so your tanks "biofilter" can do its job.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

running the canister filter on the sump with a reduction in wet/dry media would be my suggestion... reduce by about 20% ea week until all wet/dry media is gone. IMO, a canister filter can have it's place for use during water changes, using carbon, phosphate sponges, or for a quick water polish.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

I got so much current right now its a scale model of the East Australian Current !!!! 2 Seio m820 opposing, a rio 1100 to the back of the rocks, and a can filter dumpin' 100gph on top... It looks like a class 4 river rapid in there !!! J/K LOL !

I did lose a blue damsel today. freebie.... oh well at least I dont have to catch him now !

Quote Originally Posted by Reptoreef
    running the canister filter on the sump with a reduction in wet/dry media would be my suggestion... reduce by about 20% ea week until all wet/dry media is gone. IMO, a canister filter can have it's place for use during water changes, using carbon, phosphate sponges, or for a quick water polish.

I was wondering about that.... I actually planned on transferring my H20 using the can as a powerhead, Ill also drain it with it. Its cool cuz its got the shutoff valve so it wont lose a prime when I want to shut her down. May be Ill keep it, instead of throwing it up on SEABAY.