[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Phosphate Reactors

Bookmark and Share
    Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Question Phosphate Reactors

I don't have a problem w/ phosphates now (in the 35 hex) but I vodka dose I am just wondering about the efficiency of dosing w/ my 150 now. Maybe something if it works for people I could add to the sump in the future.
    How do they work?
    They are so cheap, do they even work?
    What do you put in there too "eliminate" phosphates?
    I am just wondering about them.
    Thanks guys!
    Heidi

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

PO4 reactors work. Somtimes too well. If you dont start slow, you can strip the water of PO4 too fast, and shock the tank and kill the corals in your tank, in some circumstances.

I am pretty sure GFO (Granular Feric Oxide) is your best bet to run inside of a reactor.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I don't have a problem w/ phosphates now (in the 35 hex) but I vodka dose I am just wondering about the efficiency of dosing w/ my 150 now. Maybe something if it works for people I could add to the sump in the future.
    How do they work?
    They are so cheap, do they even work?
    What do you put in there too "eliminate" phosphates?
    I am just wondering about them.
    Thanks guys!
    Heidi
    +1 Patric,they do work and yes you can over do it also.The best reactor I've seen is the brs one and they sell a good GFO also.They also have a fair price on both also,I run gfo on all three of our systems along with carbon in another reactor.Both media's work best when being fluidized or suspended in other terms.If your setting up a larger system I would recomend you run both.As far as doaseing vodka I'm not to sure If I would sugest that unless you experience a very large algae bloom.I have had mixed results with vodka but gfo has always done what it is advertised to do.Good luck

GFO and reactors are just another way to skin a cat. They work and will accomplish what they are supposed to. Vodka can also be a very effective tool. However one must completely understand what is happening when dosing a carbon source such as vodka, sugar, vinegar ect... The results of misuse can be disastrous. I would strongly recommend getting a firm understanding of water chemistry and its' effects on corals before attempting carbon dosing where as GFO can be pretty straight forward.