[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Superbac

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

Default Superbac

In advance I apologize if this should be in another thread. I wasn't sure if it should be in product review, water quality, or reef discussion.

Has anyone used Superbac or a similar product to help jump start their cycle. Now supposedly this will shorten the cycle time down to a few days instead of weeks. I was just curious as to whether or not their claim was accurate. I'm always a bit leery about products like this, however, I don't feel comfortable using fish to cycle either. (kinda harsh on the fish) I'm setting up a starphire 120gal in the near future and I was exporing some new options. Let me know your thoughts / input please.

-Craig

fawkes - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Many (maybe 15) years ago, I added something to assist with the establishment of bacteria. I have no clue what it was, and I don't believe that it was intended to shorten the cycle and i didn't rush the cycle.

I ran into this article some time back http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/top...tpbacteria.htm and I have wondered about the Right Now! stuff. I think it needs to be used in conjunction with oxygen.

I too am interested in any experiences others have had. I really don't know that I would need this stuff, but if it would save you in an emergency, it could be a blessing.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I used the bio-zyme in a tank years ago. Its one in the link in above post. Cant say it jumpstarted anything or shortened my cycle from the test I came up with and the usual brown algea stage. Everything just cycled- just like normal.

No experiance with the superbac though.

First Name
    Craig

Well the reason that my curiousity was spiked was the video I found below. There is a company out in California called Infinity Aquarium Design and they advertised it in one of their videos and showed it in use. I'm not about rushing things but it sounds cool if it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPm30...os=X-E-N-9zkM0

In case anyone wants to check it out the product website is:

http://www.naturbac.com/

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

i have used nite-out before.. added it to a quarantine. i also used it in my main tank because the woman at the lfs recomended it. she is pretty good about fish care ect. my reason was to bring down nitrates. it did lower nitrates by 5ppm. i didnt have a prob with amonia/nitrite but i am guessing it did react the way it should have. that is my only exp. with that kind of additive.

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

I just posted something like this on "MR" , but I am in the process of setting up another tank, and I have been keeping a daily log as to whats happening, and basically doing my own Dr. Frankenstein tests to see what works and whats B.S. . straight facts- not just opinions. Not to bore you with details, but as of today I am on day 14 of my new tank cycling and on day 1, I added 1 large bottle ( does 45 gallons) of SUPERBAC with real Nitrifying Bacteria, plus all the other stuff I have done, and basically today was my first large Ammonia spike recorded. After testing in my lab ( my house) my opinion is it helps a little, the bottle costs $22, but I think my tank probably would have hit the Ammonia high within the next week anyways without the added Superbac. Just going off previous results.
    I was thinking of maybe doing a writeup on my testing and what has worked and what has done nothing.
    Last edited by streetrodder007; 07-14-2010 at 05:39 PM.

First Name
    Craig

That's good to know actually. Your initial results kinda sound like it isn't worth the $22. I could still cycle my tank with some established pieces of LR that I already have.

First Name
    Bill

I guess I'm about 50/50 on the SuperBac . The main reason I added it was because of how I set up my newest tank. I put in 40 lbs of new/ base ( not live) rock, and took roughly 10 lbs of good established live rock from my other tank. Plus I added 60 lbs of new dry fine argonite sand, then I scooped exactly 2 full cups of live sand from a 2 year old tank and sprinkled that over the new sand to seed it.. Plus on day 7, I added 1 large raw de-shelled shrimp for the bacteria to eat, and to kick start the Ammonia. Today's water tests showed the nitrites at 1.5 and nitrates at 10 parts , so that's a good sign. the cycle is moving. Today was day 15 for testing.

First Name
    Bill

Advice- if you are using 100% live rock and live sand, don't waste your money on Live bacteria. If you are starting a brand spankin new tank with dry materials, buy the product, it will help.

Also buy the shrimp, 60 count bag at Meijer's for $5, plus you will need the cocktail sauce for $2, then I also bought a case of Bud Light for $15). It's crucial you drink the beer and eat the rest of the shrimp, while staring at the tank and planning your new inhabitants, or it will never cycle.....LOL......that's what works for me !!!!!!!!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

SWReefing=nothing good happens fast )
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last