[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tank percipitated-what to do now??

Bookmark and Share
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Tank percipitated-what to do now??

For the first time ever, my tank percipitated. I know nothing about this topic, and would like some info.

I did some tank maintanance and lost some water. I also wanted to lower my salinity a bit, so I mixed my top off water light on the salt. I have some seachem marine buffer on hand that I have never used and figured I would use it in my top off. Possible big mistake??

So, the top off water was a bit cloudy and decided to add it to the tank a little at a time over the course of a few hours. As soon as I added the cloudy top off water to the tank, it mixed with my water, instantly clear. No problems.

Just as I added the last bit of water to the tank, the water stayed a little cloudy. Couple hours later I got the big snow storm that steadily got worse.

It was very late, and was unsure of what to do, so I let it run its course. Another big mistake??

So- now the water is nice and clear, but I have a white coating on the glass, rocks and bottom of the tank. Also have a film on the water surface.

What do I need to do now?? What are the concequences of percipitation and what issues are involved?

I see no issues with any fish/coral/inverts, just have a light dusting of settled snow in the tank.

I will be taking parameter tests tonight after dinner, just in case they are needed.

Info would be much apreciated! Thx- chris.

First Name
    Chris

Percipitation occured late monday night.

First Name
    Chris

Updated info-

Found the cause of the percipitation.....

Instructions say to add 1 teaspoon (predisolved in 1-2cups water) per 20 gallons. I added 1 1/2 cups, not teaspoons,to 4 gallons of top off to go into aprox. 30 gallon water volume!

Still need the rest of the info. Thx, chris.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

The white stuff is calcium. Most likely it was caused by the spike in pH from adding to much buffer. Since your livestock is okay now, I think you'll be okay. I would have been very concerned right when it happened. But likely your calcium/alkalinity levels are now off. You'll want to test and gradually add calcium and buffer to bring things back into line.

First Name
    Chris

What should I do about the "snow" on the bottom of my tank?

And what about the film on the surface of the water?

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Check levels, from a scientific backgrond the may be alright. Buffers help Ph and POh in a narrower level. Extra buffer will not convert until needed which may be the precipitate. Also, as everyone knows, if Ph is way off you can have precipitate of minerals out of water column. I would get the extra precipitate by using gravel vac to get it up This may be calcium or just the buffer itself. Good luck and talk to you soon.
    P.S. I got the skimmer (thanks epicynter).

First Name
    Chris

Heck of a time to have no ph or mag test kit....

I can get calc and alk at least.

Hope I didnt precipitate out of the water column, and its just unused product that I majorly overdosed.

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Heck of a time to have no ph or mag test kit....

I can get calc and alk at least.

Hope I didnt precipitate out of the water column, and its just unused product that I majorly overdosed.
    Only the excess will so should not be bad. But with the amount extra you may have to worry about POh and Ph. Probably not an issue as pointed out before. The vacumming and water replace ment should do you good IMO but I'm no expert.