[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Test Kit Reading and (low?) pH Help!

Bookmark and Share
    thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Test Kit Reading and (low?) pH Help!

I can't figure out whether this is 7.8, or between 8.0 and 8.2. What do ya'll think?
    2011 07 07134700 - Test Kit Reading and (low?) pH Help!
    2011 07 07134731 - Test Kit Reading and (low?) pH Help!
    2011 07 07134712 - Test Kit Reading and (low?) pH Help!
    Also, if it is 7.8ish, should I dose some Brightwell Alk 8.3? It says on the label it will raise pH to 8.3.
    Thanks

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

hold old is the test kit looks kinda low 2nd off o u have a sump and if so do u keep your light on in there at night ?
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Tough call! Did you test again? I think it looks 7.8.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I was told a long time ago to use day light to read the color. Hold it against a sold white background, no other colors next to it that will cause shading. Don't let the light shine through it, which will also make it look lighter. Do that and you'll get an 8.2 which is what I think it's reading.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Okay thanks guys! The kit is a little less than a year and a half old, and I have no sump. I do agitate the surface at night to favor gas exchange.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Was that tested in the morning or night? Does your house have air conditioning?

It was tested around the middle of the day, test tube is facing window. Yes, I'm running AC, and my tank is 80*

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Ok so assuming your light have not been on all that long I would expect a lower reading. Given that you have your air conditioning on, your reading is fine. Because your house is closed up you build up CO2 which will lower your PH. You are seeing what increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere does to the ocean. If you have no outside source ( air pump outside, skimmer air intake piped outside) of air then normal would be around 7.9. Which is fine BTW, 7.8 to 8.4 is considered normal. You really just don't want it jumping up or down more than a few 10ths. If you want to test it to be sure leave your windows open tonight and check it again tomorrow at the same time. I bet it is a solid 8.2.

Okay thanks! Very thorough explanation. I thought it would be an 8.2 as well.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looks like 7.8 to me also....but then again looks an awful lot like 8.2 also.

After reading slapshots questions and your answers- I would go with the info he shared.