[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Test Kits - Back up

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Test Kits - Back up

I'm curious, does anyone believe in back up test kits of another brand as a fail safe? One could easily amass hundreds if not thousands of dollars in corals in their tank along with equal amounts if not more in hardware, componets, tank, stand etc. If for some strange reason you received a bad test kit which didn't yield the correct results which could cause a tank crash or serious die off; would you have a back up? I have always invested in back ups with a tank full of expensive corals. Since I'm not one who employs little technology in my tank, I've always relied on close daily observation and log entries, good husbandry and back up test kits which I use if and when I have a suspious reading. How about you? Do you, don't you, or do you believe it's a waste of time?

Mucho Reef

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

For sure i all ways have 2 of each test kit, there has been a few times where i got a crazy reading just to come to find out that the test kit went bad. I even went as far as buying 2 refractometers.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

It's good to know I'm not alone. I even keep a spare heater, (like you ) a second refractometer, a spare bulb, and back up test kits.

Which kits are you using as primary and secondary, or do you use them interchangeably?

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

Always have great luck with Salifert.. I just replace the older one every 6 to 7 month, or sooner if one give a bad reading.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I have multiple back ups for each element. I go even one step further and have a third back up of a different brand should the need arise.
    I do keep back up heater, bulbs, temp probes and wet sides to all my VT. Working on adding back up return pumps for each tank.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

I have also experienced problems with test kits going bad and providing bad readings. However, that doesn't seem to be a problem with the Tropic Marin kits. Not sure why... but they seem to have better shelf life.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

CR Member

I keep back-ups for levels that I test. With that said the only things I test/monitor regularly are salinty (I use a refractometer and a lab-grade floating hydrometer), temp, and Nitrate. In my QT tank I use a Seachem Ammonia badge and I have an API liquid kit as well.

I do have LaMotte Alk and Ca kits, and an ELOS Mag kit but I don't regularly use them. All of my corals are tough as nails. When I use to keep an Acropora dominant system, it was a whole 'nother story

As you mentioned Mucho, most of my (personal) "testing" is through observation.

Anyone keeping multiple test kits keep in mind they do have a shelf-life... many are a year, some more, some less.

I do keep back-up powerheads and return pump with fittings already on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
    For sure i all ways have 2 of each test kit, there has been a few times where i got a crazy reading just to come to find out that the test kit went bad. I even went as far as buying 2 refractometers.
    Since when do you test?!?

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan

Sense i started running a CA reactor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

I can see the logic of maintaining a backup test kit, but have to wonder how you use it.

Do you use the 2nd kit because you don't trust the result from the first kit? If so, then which results do you go with....the first or second test?

Why don't you use a test standard (sample with known concentration) to check the kit out for accuracy before testing the tank water?
    Last edited by BeakerBob; 05-11-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - Test Kits - Back up

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I dont have a back up, personaly- but I do test against freinds kits, every now and then, just to be sure. I also utilize the free tests at my local fish store, when I am under the impression somthing is off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last