[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Test Kits - What are YOU using, and why?

Bookmark and Share
    dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Default Test Kits - What are YOU using, and why?

I have to replace a coupld of my test kits soon, as they are running out of various parts. So, I thought I would put it out here - what are y'all using for your testing?

I got the Red Sea kits with my tank, and had a malfunction that required me to replace the pH kit a while back with an API test. Don't remember why I chose that one, might have been the only choice on the shelf?

Like to hear from many of you!

CR Member

I used to use Red Sea. I had an issue with the accuracy of the Alk. test and yes, a secondary test would have been great. Heard a few people complaining about Red Sea but recommending API and Salifert. I went with API and have been happy. Whatever you get, I would recommend taking a water sample to the LFS to confirm your results. Hope that helps.

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

I have tried various test kits over time and I like these so far

Alk - Lamotte
    Calcium - Salifert
    Nitrate - Lamotte
    Phosphate - Hanna

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Jerry, I always ALWAYS bring water in to LFS to be tested. I am spoiled to have several shops not too far away from my route from home to work... so, I even rotate between stores. I figure, if I can repeat the same error, so can the LFS. I had one employee of a not to be named shop insist that my pH was "off the charts - 15+" I knew it was wrong, and kept asking "you mean dKH?" I think a tank with pH of 15 would likely have etched the glass. I tested it later, and got the 7-8 number I almost always do.

Regarding Red Sea - I have found that their Nitrate test always says 0.25 for me, but the LFSs all tell me "zero".

CR Member

I hear ya! Sometimes you just don't know. I just feel a little more confident knowing that the LFS is getting results that are very similar to mine. My only issue with the Red Sea kit was the ALK test kit. The others all seemed to be pretty close.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

This is not promising to hear about the RedSea Alk test. I just bought the Pro. Unfortunately the only other test available to me is the API. Which I had been using for the last 2+yrs. Decided to switch for comparison reasons only and BRS has chosen the RedSea as one of the more accurate tests available. Our LFS uses only the API
    How far off was the RedSea Alk test you preformed? What other test did you compare it to?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

This happened several months ago and I wasn't using the Pro kit. It was giving me a very low reading so I added Alk buffer. I would then wait a day and test...still low. Something eventually didn't seem right (I know - chalk it up to being relatively new and I should have known better) so I took a sample into the LFS and my Alk was between 13 - 14. The LFS was using a Slaifert test kit. I have compared their results to my API and they are pretty close. If you bought the pro kit I would just test and take a sample into the LFS for a base comparison.

TM01 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Todd
    Awards Tank of the Month Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have always used..

Alk - API (forever I think)
    Calcium - Salifert
    Mag - Salifert
    Phosphate - Salifert/Hanna

If your tank looks good, then thats what matters most.
    "The price of beauty is never quick or cheap."